The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 PM

notropis is on a distinguished road
Default Wildman Lake in mid-August

I am going with a group to Wildman Lake south of King Salmon this August and wonder if any of you folks have done any fishing in the region. I have fished the Ugashik River region and assume it will be about the same. I welcome any suggestions or information.

At the moment I plan on taking an 8-weight and a good selection of woolybuggers, leeches, flash flies, and big pink and purple flies as well as a (gasp) spinning rod and a few Pixies for silvers in addition to a 6-weight and some eggs patterns, flesh flies, and streamers for trout.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wildman Lake in mid-August

Sounds fun, I lived in the Bristol Bay region for many years and learned to flyfish out there. I also managed to spoil myself with the massive salmon runs and giant 'bows, char, pike, grayling, even lakers.

I think your fly choice is sound. Eggs and flesh flies are key. Silvers like pink.
Watch for bears. They are getting a bit antsy that time of year.

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notropis View Post
I am going with a group to Wildman Lake south of King Salmon this August and wonder if any of you folks have done any fishing in the region. I have fished the Ugashik River region and assume it will be about the same. I welcome any suggestions or information.

At the moment I plan on taking an 8-weight and a good selection of woolybuggers, leeches, flash flies, and big pink and purple flies as well as a (gasp) spinning rod and a few Pixies for silvers in addition to a 6-weight and some eggs patterns, flesh flies, and streamers for trout.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 PM

notropis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wildman Lake in mid-August

We had a wonderful time. The silver salmon hit well on pink flies. The char and Dolly Vardens were a scream on bead-head nymphs, and I caught them on rods ranging from a 6 weight to a 2 weight. What a blast. We even had some outstanding ptarmigan hunting behind dogs. I also tried a Spey rod for the first time.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.