The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Varied Water Conditions and Late Runs;

Ever since the King Salmon entered the rivers and the season closed on this species things have been a bit .............. off, to say the least. Sockeye salmon are still entering the Kenai River system as of my fishing there last Friday & Saturday. Pods of salmon were regularly crossing the shoals where I fish in groups ranging from 4 - 30 fish at a time headed up river. I was able to catch 4 on Saturday the 13'th and then traveled to the Anchor River looking for Silver Salmon. In the lower Kenai we saw at least 50.000 sockeye in various stages of maturity from bright fish to spawned out drop-backs but I was only able to identify 3 silvers.

The upside of the Kenai experience was that I saw at least 10 or more of the elusive and huge Kenai rainbow Trout traveling with the sockeye. When I say 'huge' I mean that literally. I see a lot of big fish and because of this I have gotten good at calling them when it comes to size / weight proportions. These trout are in the 28 - 32" and 10 - 15 pound class or I don't get all worked up over them. I swung a very fine Skykomish Sunrise past as many as I could locate and had no response from the fish. It seems that when they are on the move with the salmon there is little to no interest in small distractions as they move up the river. Still it is and was heartening to see such fish and it serves to build my hopes for the fall / late fall / early winter fishing on that river.

Here in the MatSu valley it seems that the return on Silver Salmon is either late or lacking in numbers. The return coupled with excess rain and high water conditions makes a tough job even tougher. Word has it that the fish hit the Yentna system in such numbers that the fish wheels operated by the AKDF&G were unable to count them in the numbers that came. All that while many other watersheds wait for the fish to show at all................

Back down the Kenai Peninsula all the way to the Anchor River I found the Silver Salmon to be less than plentiful. The Anchor River itself was low and the salmon were absent in any appreciable numbers. I did not put my waders on but drove and walked the river from the weir at Anchor Point to the Cook Inlet and saw no indication of silvers in any number.

So there you have it, I wait. Post 'Labor Day' is always a good time for me so I am looking forward to the crisp mornings and the probable driving rains of fall to finish off my season.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Varied Water Conditions and Late Runs;

That's a tough game of hide and seek.

Dave
Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dave,

The post is just another attempt to inform members of the things that can happen if you book airfare 9 months in advance of a trip. There should be good fishing for Pacific Silver Salmon in the rivers now but things are not as they should be.

I am going to write a thread offering my best advice for planning a trip to Alaska soon and I hope it will help people to avoid being caught up in less than desirable conditions when they arrive.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-18-2011, 02:54 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Observation

A few years ago I looked into traveling to Alaska for some fishing. Most guide service web pages pushed for booking very early before the best dates were taken. Perhaps the guides do book early, but your advice may well save the trip of a lifetime for someone who has planned and saved for years.

Thanks Ard

Dave