The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Alaska General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/alaska-general-discussion/)
-   -   The Power of Positive Thinking; (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/alaska-general-discussion/187026-power-positive-thinking.html)

Hardyreels 09-24-2011 03:51 PM

The Power of Positive Thinking;

I'm doing my best at keeping a positive attitude for the remainder of the season here but like many other areas of North America water conditions are a problem. I've been fishing close to home for weeks because of flooding on the Kenai River that crested three weeks ago today, that would have been around September 1st. After a three week wait I was getting antsy and logged onto the USGS river gage site to see how things are down that way. Another Flood Advisory was posted for Today! It seems that while things have been relatively dry here in the MatSu Valley the poop has been hitting the Westinghouse in the upper Kenai River Basin.

So why the long face? The fall fishing on the lower Kenai is your best chance to reel in a 30" rainbow with a 19" girth. Now that's a big rainbow! With water levels high a tough job for a fly fisherman is made almost impossible. it is my intention to catch one on a fly. Not a weighted fly, not a plastic bead, and without big gobs of lead clamped to my leader to drag an offering to the bottom. Trust me this is a lofty goal and not one that I hear of many people attaining. I'll use my sinking leader but I'll also have an un-weighted streamer fly or a Skykomish Sunrise on my line not a plastic bead. The water will go down but I'm left wondering what the temperatures will be like when it does. The area I fish is 250 miles from home so I go and I camp. When it gets below freezing every night there is a whole new series of issues to deal with every morning. Things like heating a pan of water to thaw out your fishing boots and melting the frost off the steering wheel of the boat are among the things that I'm trying to remain positive about :D Then there's the 8 hours of standing in the river swinging flies with a possible high near 38*.

I could go on and talk myself out of trying but it won't do any good. I guess I just wanted to let you guys who are facing too low, too warm, or too high & muddy to know that things are not always as pretty as the pictures make it seem to be here. I'm going to take the motorcycle out now and go scouting some creeks farther up the valley now................

If you are having less that great water conditions at this time feel free to share them with me, I know what it's like.

wt bash 09-24-2011 07:19 PM

Re: The Power of Positive Thinking;

Haha! For once I can't complain! The tribs aren't in the best of shape but we're finally having a wet fall the past few season have started hot and low and allready we're having night time lows in the 50's and high 40's with rain coming through every few days. We still need a good one to clear out the silt but all in all its looking pretty good on the Erie tribs. The trout rivers are a different story but its Ohio so I can't expect too much.

Hardyreels 09-25-2011 01:16 AM

Hey Bill where you been??

Glad to hear your creeks are looking better this year, I did take the bike and go scouting and I have one picked for tomorrow.

[IMG]http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...f/39fa06cd.jpg[/IMG]

milt spawn 09-25-2011 01:32 AM

Could be worse Ard, could be Texas. Read an article yesterday about the state F&G rescuing stranded fish and taking them to holding areas at the hatcheries to try to preserve the species. I think fish would prefer floods to drought. Parts of New Mexico are also in drought. Hope they get some relief soon. Also hope you get your bow! And a photo. milt.

gatortransplant 09-25-2011 01:45 AM

Very picturesque Ard, I wouldn't mind fishing a spot like that, but then again my primary fishing spot is in the middle of the city... so I guess I'm not the most discerning of customers. Either way, it looks like a nice spot. Since I'm learning, when I see photos of fishing areas I try to pick possible lies and envision where the fish would be holding.

jpbfly 09-25-2011 01:58 AM

Ard ,waters are very low here:http://www.rdbrmc.com/hydroreel2/sta...odestation=714 temps are still unusually high over 30C:eek:so you can put a big pipe,open the tap and.... send us some water:D

caseywise 09-25-2011 02:03 AM

well buddy,
been there done that, kind of a sad part of year. and as far as freezing, well, everything seems to come to an end. it all slows for winters return...
even in paradise!;)

casey

milt spawn 09-25-2011 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpbfly (Post 322254)
Ard ,waters are very low here:Situation hydrologique de la station GANGES temps are still unusually high over 30C:eek:so you can put a big pipe,open the tap and.... send us some water:D

JP, that one descending graph looks a bit like our stock markets as of late. milt.

wt bash 09-25-2011 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=Hardyreels;322246]Hey Bill where you been??

Glad to hear your creeks are looking better this year, I did take the bike and go scouting and I have one picked for tomorrow.
QUOTE]

Working, hiding out, and lurking. Now that looks like a tastey chunk of water!

Hardyreels 09-25-2011 11:43 AM

I'm about to go out the door right now. They can be deceiving, some just scream FISH but I'm hard pressed to get one on the fly. I'll let you know what I find.

Ard