The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road
Default Alaska - where should I start?

I'm starting to research fishing in Alaska in Spring /Summer 2012. This would be a first trip to Alaska and I'm planning on taking my 12 year old son and 67 year old father. I like to fly fish, Dad likes to lake fishing (trolling) and my son will be along for the ride. Hoping to incorporate a little bit of both river fishing and deep sea fishing. Looking for a research starting point and opinions....Alaska is huge!

Questions - When is the best time to go? Area to focus on? etc.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Jaws

South East Michigan
Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Alaska - where should I start?

Welcome to the forum Jaws,

I may be able to help you to find what you are looking for, the big issue is budget. If you don't want to discuss how much or how little you want to spend on the open post you can send a PM to me regarding the budget limits. I say this because not only is Alaska huge, so is the difference in the range of cost depending what services you will be able to provide yourself such as camping - renting an RV. - vs. staying in lodges. For the generic duel purpose trip (halibut / ling cod / salmon) on a blue water boat there are innumerable charter services running into Kachemak Bay (Homer) and Resurrection Bay (Seward) as for anyone specializing in lake fishing / trolling, I don't know any personally. The opportunity to fly fish is present in every river and creek you will cross pursuant to state regulations of course.

If you want to speak to me to get an understanding of what I have tried to answer here let me know via PM. I will not have the time to write it all out here in text.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;