The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New To Alaksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkin3 View Post
Yeah the rain gear is number one on my list! I just got my assignment I will be working at the wally Noerenberg Hatchery which is located in lake bay which is on the southern end of esther island. I leave to head to cordova on Feb. 25 so it is approaching fast! how is the flying in snowy conditions?
Welcome, and you will probably have an awesome time. I think your rod choice is sound for the most part. If you want to chase grayling, a 3wt makes for an awesome time. It is worth noting that the hatchery you are talking about near Paxson is about a 4 or more hour drive from Valdez and you dont need to go that far. There are grayling to be caught in the Glenallen area.

I dont necessarily consider PWS that remote, it has a road connection and ferry service. It is out of the way, but remote here is generally considered fly in only as far as I am concerned.

As for flying in snow conditions, if it is too bad, the pilot wont go. If the pilot will go, jump on board. If you want to know about snow conditions in Cordova check out some of the pictures from thier snow storm a few weeks ago. I think they have had close to 20 feet this winter.

While I am not a PWS expert, I have spent a bit of time there and it is amazingly beautiful. The fishing is better than average and the weather worse than average, when it comes to PWS, if you think you have enough goretex, buy 2 more of each. Seriously, do not skimp on rain gear.

I have never seen or caught one, but apparently there are some streams in the Valdez area that have cuttthroats.

A large caliber revolver is also handy to have around.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 AM

jborn is on a distinguished road

Watch out -- Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.

all smiles - good luck on your "experience"

jlb
Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerka View Post
While I am not a PWS expert, I have spent a bit of time there and it is amazingly beautiful. The fishing is better than average and the weather worse than average, when it comes to PWS, if you think you have enough goretex, buy 2 more of each. Seriously, do not skimp on rain gear.
After fishing up there the 1st time I wore goretex til it was saturated and then went to a rubber backup...to wear while the goretex dried out...

I'd take a backup 8wt and reel if I could, especially if you'll be there for silvers.

I'm soooo jealous.

-Mike
Old 02-12-2012, 02:51 PM

jenkin3 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone! i have gortex and rubber so i am hoping i am that will be enough lol. I was curious what size leader and tippet i should use on both rods. i was thinking 4x on the 5 wt but idk about the 8 wt.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 AM

wfosborn is on a distinguished road

I'm a little late to the game here, been out of touch for far too long here.

I'm here in Cordova, I imagine you'll be stopping in here a few times during your stay at the hatcheries. I'd be happy to help out however I can, come find me at Laura's or send me a pm if there's anything I can do for you.

--Will
Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkin3 View Post
Thanks everyone! i have gortex and rubber so i am hoping i am that will be enough lol. I was curious what size leader and tippet i should use on both rods. i was thinking 4x on the 5 wt but idk about the 8 wt.
jenkin,

For most fishing forget the 'X' ratings and think along the lines of light equals 8 pound test. That's my trout, char and grayling leader. For any salmon fishing I use 15 pound Maxima and have no worries no matter what I hook up with.

Hi Will, long time no chat,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-18-2012, 06:32 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

You lucky dog you. PWS? Spent a lot of time on it back several yrs ago. Mainly in Whittier. Only way in is by boat, plane or rail. We did the tunnel portols that you see when headin for Whittier. Fished a stream that came out of a fall and dumped into the bay. Caught fish till i sat my rod down and said i wasn't going to catch anymore. Get ya some Geological Survey maps of the area that you'll be in. You'll find en very useful. What profession are you in if i may ask?
Eddy