The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 PM

jenkin3 is on a distinguished road
Default New To Alaksa

I am new to this forum. I currently live in South Carolina, but I am moving to a remote area in Prince William Sound at the end of Feb and will be there until November. I know there are great fly fishing opportunities there, but I don't have much experience with salmon. My background with a fly rod is mainly southeastern trout streams throwing small dry flies, nymphs (with indicators), streamers, and egg patterns. I have recently gotten addicted to fly tying. I have looked at the flies that are posted on here, and I have looked up a few others. I done decent amount of reading on what the trends are and when the runs are...but any advice will be greatly appreciated. I have a 5 weight that i mainly use for trout and an 8 weight that i have used in saltwater. I assume the 5 weight would be ok for trout dolly varden and grayling (if i were to venture out to find them) and the 8 weight would be good for most of the salmon species. I have read most of the post on this forum, and havent thought much about leaders and tippet. since i am going to be remote i am thinking i need to get a lot of it before i head out. I would love any advice!

Thanks,

Jimmy
Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New To Alaksa

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to the forum and you'll find that there will be plenty of winter left for you when you get here. Where in PWS are you going to live?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 PM

I will be working with prince william sound aquaculture association. so i will be working at some of the remote hatcheries. im not sure where they are on the sound but there are 4 on the coast and 1 inland. I think i will be moving between them all at some point over the next 10 months. i can get gps coords of the places
Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This sounds very interesting but the area is out of my sphere of familiarity. If you will be on or near rivers where there are hatcheries there will no doubt be large returns of salmon, expertise will not be crucial because after a few weeks you will have caught so many fish you will have it figured out.

As for having your trout fishing background to draw from; I can honestly say that had I not had a thorough understanding of streamer fishing for trout, my transition to salmon fishing would have been very difficult. If you want to stay in touch drop a PM to my mail box and we can continue the discussion about gear and etc. We could also get on Skype to speak about fishing here if you want.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i worked a summer at the main bay hatchery in pws about 15 years ago and it was quite an experience.
as far as fishing the area, salmon,dv, and rainbows are plentiful but you'll not find grayling in that part of the state.
regarding rod selection, i think a 5 weight and an 8 weight will work fine.
have fun

casey

ARFE
Old 01-28-2012, 12:11 PM

By "quite an experience" do you mean good, bad, or just different. I did some research on grayling and pws has a hatchery in paxton, AK i was thinking if i ended up there for a bit i might get into some. I just love being outdoors and catching fish is just a bonus to that! It is going to be an adjustment. I have hiked and fished in 30 degree weather, but in SC the winter fluctuates so much. Like thursday i was hiking in 75 degree weather in jan. but 3 weeks ago it was a high a 40. My main worry is adjusting the the amount of daylight. In my area we consider a pig trout to be anything over 18 inches. I know this is not the case in your neck of the woods.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:32 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

a great experience

ARFE
Old 01-28-2012, 01:00 PM

awesome!! I am really pumped about it!
Old 01-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmy: Sounds like you are in for quite an adventure, I'm jealous. I've never fished the streams in that area. I've hunted for black bear in some of the remote bays in the area and trolled for silver salmon in the main bay. Bring really good rain gear. As the saying goes, "If you can see the mountain tops its going to rain, if you can't its raining".

Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 PM

Yeah the rain gear is number one on my list! I just got my assignment I will be working at the wally Noerenberg Hatchery which is located in lake bay which is on the southern end of esther island. I leave to head to cordova on Feb. 25 so it is approaching fast! how is the flying in snowy conditions?