The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Record Moose Kill in South Central AK.

Just for the sake of an update; I dropped 11 nice big birch trees all in a row on our back trail yesterday afternoon. Nice trees for wood next winter with big full crowns filled with buds that are being brought to life by the lengthening days of sun.

This morning as daylight broke at about 7:30 there was our first customer laying right beside all those trees, a big pregnant cow She must have wandered into the Deli overnight, filled up and then lain down to rest. Now she's up and filling the tank again. I would snap a few pictures but the sun is right in the windows and I won't risk going out the back and scaring her.

Chalk up 1 for the moose lover this day.
fysh and caseywise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Record Moose Kill's in South Central AK.

That's good to hear Ard. Get us some pics when you can.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

She is still there, she went and lay over in the draw then came back and ate again. Now she's laying down back again

Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Administrator

484 moose killed by cars here in the Mat Su Valley this past winter, I just saw the ammended numbers. Think about that

Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

484!!??? That boggles the mind Ard, it really does.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Administrator

At 700 - 1000 pounds each that's between 338,800 & 484,000 pounds of dead moose without a hunting season.

Meanwhile we have planes and helicopters along with trappers and shooters trying to wipe out the alaskan wolf population to increase the Moose population. I think the problem is too many people shooting and running down the moose not a wolf trying to make a living.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

And quite a few totaled cars I'll bet . I've hit my share of whitetail in the wee hours can't imagine what 1000 lbs of moose does to your vehicle!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-27-2012, 05:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
484 moose killed by cars here in the Mat Su Valley this past winter, I just saw the ammended numbers. Think about that
Wow, that is unbelievable. Doesn't anyone watch where their going anymore!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Quite a few have been hit by the trains...I think the poor moose always loses in that encounter.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Hi Stan,

How bout the places where the people who go to pick them up via the list, cape them out and leave the hides and all other discards lay on the berm of the road?

That should be something the state requires, that if you are in line to claim a roadkill you must remove the entire mess. Ravens and other scavengers are just baited to the roads edge to become highway pizza themselves. Then when the snow melts we get to see & smell the remains. There is a bid ole pile of it decomposing right beside the walking / bike path along KGB Road right now, nice, really nice. Then there's the one on the Glen along the Palmer Hay Flats above Knick River, nice......................

Maybe I should send this to the people at Dept. of Public safety who oversee all of this and the Troopers as well.

Anyway, yeah the trains take their toll and of course those pesky Wolves. I don't agree with the 'wipe out the predator' program just so we can kill more of the moose. But I'm not going there, I'll leave it at that; but as for those who are into killing every wolf you see we will probably disagree on that practice.

Ard