The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Alaska General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/alaska-general-discussion/)
-   -   It's Tying Time Again; (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/alaska-general-discussion/237994-its-tying-time-again.html)

Hardyreels 02-09-2012 04:48 PM

It's Tying Time Again;

It's a tough time between Thanksgiving and now. Days are short and snowy but now we are on the down hill run toward warmer weather. The days get longer by 5 minutes every 24 hours as we march into the spring breakup and tonight the fly tying begins. As I make the salmon flies for this season I'll stick some here. Many are already represented on the Flies For Alaska threads but there may be some new creations this year and I'll post as they occur. I had some real good trout on blue Spey style flies last fall and I know there are plenty more blue hackles here so...........

This is the type fly that saved some days last fall and I'll make a bunch of variations of it in blue & pruple.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...kerBee0001.jpg

Many people associate the AK. patterns with the leeches and big weighted bunny fur offerings. I manage to entice the fish with the more traditional patterns and I can say that they are a lot easier to cast and result in fewer lost flies because of snagging the bottom. It won't be too long now whether you are in the lower 48 or here until the spring in upon us and the fishing will go full tilt. Some of you have had unusually mild winters and I know you have never quit fishing. That was familiar to me years ago but here you quit when it gets cold but make up for the down time in a big way when the ice goes out :)

I believe I'll start with some Santiam Spectrum ties and then go to the king salmon patterns. By making the Spectrum's first everything else seems easy. Soon I'll be able to try out a new rod and reel that are waiting just as I am for spring. There isn't much else to post about, I've not been inclined to be taking pictures, and there isn't any fishing, in another couple weeks I'll take a trip to the cabin for a while and that always seems to produce some pictures and stories so I'll look forward to that.

Ard

mcnerney 02-09-2012 05:46 PM

Re: It's Tying Time Again;

Ard: Very nice looking pattern! I know what you mean, I have been pretty busy so my tying time has been very limited, but so far I managed to do the popper swap (got my eye on some smallies), two different midge swaps (those are great patterns for the tailwaters in the winter) and just finished the small streamer swap. Hopefully, things will settle down a little for me next month and I can really get some flies tied up and start hitting the tailwaters.

littledavid123 02-09-2012 06:02 PM

Thanks for the jump start, first fishing in 3 months last weekend and after reading your post knew it was time to start tying myself. Ordered the lead thread from Nancy Monday and starting to get jazzed about tying streamers. This is going to be the year of the streamer for me!!!

Now that I have a camera capable of micro shots, perhaps some of my creations will hit the board also.

Dave

Hardyreels 02-09-2012 06:07 PM

That sounds busy to me Larry, i haven't turned any thread or tinsel since fall. the blue flies have worked and that was actually a surprise because I use a lot of black, brown and gray for trout and other fishes. The bright colors are the norm for salmon but last spring I had lots of rainbow trout slam the Skykomish Sunrise. That was too cool, when I was a kid making flies like those and dreaming, there were no self respecting trout in PA. who would give them a second look let alone attack one. The blue sort of lights up in the water and the fish grab them. 2 or 3 seasons ago I had quite a week using a Bush Doctor which is just silver tinsel and bright blue hackle. it just took a couple years to work my way back to blue I guess.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Seeing your flies will be a treat Dave, when you get the leader material we'll have to talk.

grassonfly 02-09-2012 07:41 PM

great looking fly Ard.

madjoni 02-10-2012 04:01 AM

Ardy,if this is any consolation to you all Europe is in snow lock down and pretty much all of us now understand how it is for you on Alaska.I live on 4247′N and cant go anywhere...it is time to find my vice :)

gatortransplant 02-10-2012 09:17 AM

Looking forward to following your tying again, Ard! I still have salmon irons lying around and have no clue what to do with them. I still need to learn to tie your 9-3... I'm going to have to pick up one of the Salmon and Spey fly tying books as I currently don't know what technique is...

jenkin3 02-10-2012 10:43 AM

I agree with gator! you are an awesome at tying ard, and you create beautiful flies. Is that a good book to have because i thought about getting a book on salmon fly tying, but couldnt make my mind up.

mcnerney 02-10-2012 10:58 AM

Ard: That is indeed stange that the rainbows would attack a Skykomish Sunrise! I can see that the blue color would be effective.

A.J.: I'm in the same boat, I have been wanting to tie Ard's 9-3, but just haven't made the time for it. I'm going to have to make that a priority this winter, it is just a killer looking pattern.

jpbfly 02-10-2012 11:28 AM

:thmbup:beautiful fly Ard:thmbup:Think I will tie some flies next week...It's so cold here that I haven't gone fishing for two weeks:eek::eek::eek:This hasn't happened for years:yikes:that's what they call global warming:D