The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default It's Tying Time Again;

It's a tough time between Thanksgiving and now. Days are short and snowy but now we are on the down hill run toward warmer weather. The days get longer by 5 minutes every 24 hours as we march into the spring breakup and tonight the fly tying begins. As I make the salmon flies for this season I'll stick some here. Many are already represented on the Flies For Alaska threads but there may be some new creations this year and I'll post as they occur. I had some real good trout on blue Spey style flies last fall and I know there are plenty more blue hackles here so...........

This is the type fly that saved some days last fall and I'll make a bunch of variations of it in blue & pruple.

Click the image to open in full size.

Many people associate the AK. patterns with the leeches and big weighted bunny fur offerings. I manage to entice the fish with the more traditional patterns and I can say that they are a lot easier to cast and result in fewer lost flies because of snagging the bottom. It won't be too long now whether you are in the lower 48 or here until the spring in upon us and the fishing will go full tilt. Some of you have had unusually mild winters and I know you have never quit fishing. That was familiar to me years ago but here you quit when it gets cold but make up for the down time in a big way when the ice goes out

I believe I'll start with some Santiam Spectrum ties and then go to the king salmon patterns. By making the Spectrum's first everything else seems easy. Soon I'll be able to try out a new rod and reel that are waiting just as I am for spring. There isn't much else to post about, I've not been inclined to be taking pictures, and there isn't any fishing, in another couple weeks I'll take a trip to the cabin for a while and that always seems to produce some pictures and stories so I'll look forward to that.

Ard
madjoni likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's Tying Time Again;

Ard: Very nice looking pattern! I know what you mean, I have been pretty busy so my tying time has been very limited, but so far I managed to do the popper swap (got my eye on some smallies), two different midge swaps (those are great patterns for the tailwaters in the winter) and just finished the small streamer swap. Hopefully, things will settle down a little for me next month and I can really get some flies tied up and start hitting the tailwaters.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the jump start, first fishing in 3 months last weekend and after reading your post knew it was time to start tying myself. Ordered the lead thread from Nancy Monday and starting to get jazzed about tying streamers. This is going to be the year of the streamer for me!!!

Now that I have a camera capable of micro shots, perhaps some of my creations will hit the board also.

Dave
Old 02-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That sounds busy to me Larry, i haven't turned any thread or tinsel since fall. the blue flies have worked and that was actually a surprise because I use a lot of black, brown and gray for trout and other fishes. The bright colors are the norm for salmon but last spring I had lots of rainbow trout slam the Skykomish Sunrise. That was too cool, when I was a kid making flies like those and dreaming, there were no self respecting trout in PA. who would give them a second look let alone attack one. The blue sort of lights up in the water and the fish grab them. 2 or 3 seasons ago I had quite a week using a Bush Doctor which is just silver tinsel and bright blue hackle. it just took a couple years to work my way back to blue I guess.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

Seeing your flies will be a treat Dave, when you get the leader material we'll have to talk.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

great looking fly Ard.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Ardy,if this is any consolation to you all Europe is in snow lock down and pretty much all of us now understand how it is for you on Alaska.I live on 42°47′N and cant go anywhere...it is time to find my vice
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looking forward to following your tying again, Ard! I still have salmon irons lying around and have no clue what to do with them. I still need to learn to tie your 9-3... I'm going to have to pick up one of the Salmon and Spey fly tying books as I currently don't know what technique is...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM

jenkin3 is on a distinguished road

I agree with gator! you are an awesome at tying ard, and you create beautiful flies. Is that a good book to have because i thought about getting a book on salmon fly tying, but couldnt make my mind up.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: That is indeed stange that the rainbows would attack a Skykomish Sunrise! I can see that the blue color would be effective.

A.J.: I'm in the same boat, I have been wanting to tie Ard's 9-3, but just haven't made the time for it. I'm going to have to make that a priority this winter, it is just a killer looking pattern.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

beautiful fly ArdThink I will tie some flies next week...It's so cold here that I haven't gone fishing for two weeksThis hasn't happened for yearsthat's what they call global warming