The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

Jason,

I have done exactly what you describe but have done so using a motorcycle, it's even more affordable that way. The reason I don't fish the rivers of bristol bay is that I would have to barge my river boat out there and once you start that operation the cost skyrockets. Being anywhere here without a boat is a severe handicap and I count myself among the fortunate by having one.

I would like it if someday some of the people I chat with here could come up, that's what i was getting at with this thread.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be up there someday, just as soon as you are too old to do anything about all the rotten remarks I have posted about you.

Dave
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

So aside from the already stated obvious limitations, general logistics is holding me up. We have a 3 year old, so that is an extra challenge (and cost). Before I met my wife she spent a couple different summers in Alaska, working. She has very fond memories and for a woman from Montana, Alaska is last vestige of a place with more, bigger, wilder country. So there is really no way that I would ever be able to swing a solo jaunt up there to fish. No way.

I have a friend from Anchorage, he has a house and family and has welcomed us there. Someday, we'll get up there before our daughter gets too much older. I'd like to think in the next 3-4 years we could make it happen.

When it does Ard, you'll definitely know before I go.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Sooner or later, we'll be up there mooching off you Ard.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:51 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post

We are all waiting til you finish the sushi classes...

Dave
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
+1

I would like to say that is in the works, but it's just not. It IS on the bucket list at least, but hopefully it is not just a one time deal. I'm sure I could get used to an AK trip every few years if circumstances allow. I'm also with Dean...2 year old and zero year old on the way in June, so don't keep your 2012 calendar clear for me...or 2013, 2014, after that who knows; if you want to hear God laugh...
Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I will be up there someday, just as soon as you are too old to do anything about all the rotten remarks I have posted about you.

Dave
I'll only get meaner as I get older Dave so you might as well come take your medicine.

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2012, 11:20 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

WANTED MAN IN ALASKA
Old 03-19-2012, 08:24 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

It's my dream to fish up in Alaska and move up there, unfortunately it's money and having 2 ex wives keeps me from saving up.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
It's my dream to fish up in Alaska and move up there, unfortunately it's money and having 2 ex wives keeps me from saving up.
OK this is the best reason I heard so far....LOL

Thanks for the laugh!

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !