The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM

monello will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I'm not sure how you do your math, maybe you counted free airline tickets into you calculations. From what I can see it is a 1200 flight for 2. I dont' see any way to rent an RV, eat, sleep and fish for $800.
Yes, the flight would be paid by using airline miles from a credit card. You can dry camp for free in Alaska at some of the roadside pullouts. Go into a campground every 3-4 days to dump, shower, refill water, etc. Make your own meals in the RV.

Given today's cost $2,000 may be a bit low for 2 people for 2 weeks but you can get it close to that if you watch and shop accordingly.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM

mrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to beholdmrs_fysh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I'll be sending my best man to pick you guys up
So, what time will Boss arrive and what will he be driving? ...wouldn't want to keep him waiting on us.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:16 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I haven't any reasons for not going to Alaska however the reasons I went to Alaska are many,for as long as I can remember reading articles,hearing from friends & others who have visited & fished there I eventually went.
Even though I travelled from almost the Bottom of The World to virtually the top I thoroughly enjoyed my time there & I am definately going to return to again fish Rivers I have & haven't Fished,catch up with people I have & haven't met before.
Even though it was an expensive holiday which I had planned it for many years & was worth every $$$s spent I also visited other places as well.
Next time from experiences I can do it a little cheaper,however my moto is I never ever want to be "The Richest Person in The Cemetary" as a close friend tragically died in September last year & there is a real confusion over his moneys & assets as he didnt have any immediate family.
So I hope to see,meet & Fish,hopefully with some of you there or hopefully elseware in The States at The Convention when it eventuates.
Brian

Last edited by Liphookedau; 03-28-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:52 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

after pharmacy school I am going to try and get a job at the Walgreens in Anchorage, and then another job in Florida during the winter... In case your wondering I work for Walgreens now as a pharmacy technician so I will have 6 years of experience with Walgreens after that point. So to answer your question I'll be seeing you in 6 years.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 AM

ak4570 will become famous soon enough

If you keep waiting, we're going to catch all the fish there are up here and then where will you be?!

All kidding aside, if/when you do make it up, drop a line and we'll make sure you're fishing time is spent in a productive manner...

...and hey, if all else fails, I've got a back yard you can throw a tent in!

John
Old 04-15-2012, 02:44 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I have looked into going to Nome, staying in a bed and breakfast and fishing the road system there with a rent-a-wreck 4-wheel drive. Arctic char, Grayling and salmon in season in several different rivers. No Kings to speak of though they tell me. Really cheap once you get to the Nome airport!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That sounds like an interesting trip. I recently met a guide from the Kobuk River region and am considering expanding my own range here. I had not previously considered Nome but will look into it also.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-15-2012, 05:26 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Well between the cold, the mosquitos, and the bears it's got a few niggling problems but those aren't the big reason I haven't made it yet. I just haven't heard of much in the way of Snook, Redfish, Bones, Tarpon, Jacks, and then Bluegills, Perch and Crappie up there but on the good side I've heard about the Pike fishing! Trout and Salmon are fine but pale in comparison to the panfish and other species I so enjoy targeting.
On a more positive note, I've heard about Halibut but that's a difficult fly rod target from all I've been told. One of the big pluses and most likely the driving force in getting me up that way is my wife and her desire to do so.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck s View Post
but on the good side I've heard about the Pike fishing!
I can do a Pike fishing trip, we have a cabin on a lake that hosts some lunkers.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

chuck s.
I never really worried about the Bears before I went to Alaska as I've been around the Outdoors wandering all over the Country Hunting,Fishing & Camping the Rivers,some alive with Brown,King Brown,Tiger Snakes & Crocodiles.
As for the Mozzies ours would eat them for Afternoon Tea,I still have marks on my Legs from Sandfly Bites back in Feb when I was away amongst the flooded areas mustering Cattle.
You are lucky living in The US as you are a little closer than I am (13 1/2 to LA + 3-4 to Anchorage) & with all The Big water Systems,there are only about 6 or 8 areas in Australia where we have Trout as well as some Salmon & Brookies however we do have many other warm water Species.
Brian.