The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 06:11 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

No one has mentioned the Emergency Closures. In 2008, 2009 and again this year, King Salmon fishing closed early in the Susitna and Kenai. That's 3 out of the last 5 years!! The closures come suddenly with no warning and can really put a damper on a trip that was planned almost a year in advance!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

3 more weeks!

Ard has kept us up to date on the closures. We're mainly going after the silver's, Rainbow, and Grayling so hopefully we'll be in the clear, but if the unfortunate happens we'll keep a positive attitude and enjoy all the splendor that Ard and Alaska have to offer. Maybe go chase those huge Northern Pike that Ard mentioned above.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM

stoneyclove will become famous soon enough

I was meant to go next month but the 2 people who were supposed to go with me pulled out. So I ended up canceling. I didn't want to do it alone. I'm regretting that decision now. I should have gone. I've decided to look for someone who is as obsessed with fishing as I am who will do a trip with me next year.
Trip I would like to do is fly to Anchorage then to King Salmon, take an air taxi to one of those great rivers and do a 6/7 day float. Obviously this isn't something you do alone.

Last edited by stoneyclove; 07-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:01 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I have checked fish counts on the ADF+G webswite until I'm sick of it! Over the last 10 years the salmon runs in almost all the rivers I have checked show a drastic decline, and that is for all species with the possible exception of sockeye. The one exception that really stands out is the Nushagak where they have counted over 110,000 Kings this year!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

We are getting our ducks in a row. Be there fore to long. I will be in touch!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 PM

adidas4275 is on a distinguished road

Well I love that Alaska has tons of fish and the fight they have.

I have some videos from my last trip.

http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?deskt...idas4275&gl=US

Last edited by adidas4275; 08-27-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:57 PM

streemaslinga is on a distinguished road

Working on the plan now - I figure 2014 though as I have a Russian trip planned ahead of the AK one. The Russia trip will only see me fishing non salmon areas where I will be - but there are northerns.
Silver Salmon and steelhead are my dream! Wish I could move the wife and daughter tha way where I could fish without the need of my boat! Just walk a river. So maybe I pull somehting off in 2013 but prolly be in 14.

l about hanging with fly fishers -
Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Looking forward to that trip, and I offically retire at midnight tonight.
Hardyreels and Liphookedau like this.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Looking forward to that trip, and I offically retire at midnight tonight.
Congrats on the retirement! I hope you have as much fun as I'm having.

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum and really enjoying it. This thread caught my eye because I give presentations to fly clubs on do it yourself Alaskan wilderness trips. I do take a very few clients on AK wilderness trips, but the emphasis of my presentation is how to plan and carry out your own trip at a reasonable cost (for such a trip). Of course the subject is too large to cover the details in a thread like this, but just generally I'd say you need wilderness experience, proper gear, emergency equipment, someone who can row a raft, and -- extremely important -- a good chemistry amongst the group and a good attitude (there will be bugs, bears and often weather issues). As someone pointed out already, a key to keeping the costs down is paying less for commercial air - frequent flyer miles, a "buddy" ticket for $99, etc. Also, the "numbers game" is important as far as float plane cost. Sorry for rambling. As I said, too much to cover here, so I would be happy to answer any specific questions. Also, I get it that many folks don't want to deal with the wilderness. Just do your research on close-to-town venues; you don't want to (I don't think) travel all the way to AK to fish shoulder to shoulder with others - we can all do that at home.