The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

I have always wanted to see AK, but life in general keeps getting the way, that and the $$ @ this point in time. It is on my bucket list, hope I can cross it off in the not too distant future.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 PM

coolhand is on a distinguished road

I will relate a recent Alaska fishing experience.

Just got back from a wonderful 10 day trip to AK with my wife. It was mostly just an anniversary vacation, but we did fish for the last 4 days. Trip was great, the fishing was just ok.

We tried some do-it-yourself, close to the road fishing, at various places around the Kenai Peninsula. IMO, It was very affordable, $55 for a 7 day fishing license and a ton of good access.

Our results were just fair. Admittedly, I didn't call anyone or get any advice other than just general internet searches and a few popular Alaska Fishing Guidebooks. I also haven't fished much in the Salmon/ Sea-run realm, mostly trout fishing in the Rocky Mountain region. Also, we didn't get too far from the beaten path as my wife (and myself as well) were a little nervous about bruins.

The Silvers were pretty much done running, with relatively few, fresh fish, just luck of the draw with timing. Also, all the water was really high as they have had a very wet late summer in AK. The Kenai River itself is really big and fast and really tough to wade fish. Looks to me as if it is pretty much the realm of the drift boat. (Maybe, I just didn't know where to go)

I did catch a very nice steelhead and several, hard fighting Dolly Varden (I was very impressed with this species). It was pretty interesting watching the Rainbows and Dolly Vardens really dogging the spawned out Salmon. But, I had a hard time convincing these fish to eat my bead eggs and flesh flies rather than the live fish that they were focused on. I really admire the angler that can get these little carnivores to eat a fly.

What was really surprising to me was amount of fishing pressure these places get, and the aggressive attitude of adjacent anglers. The banks were beat down with big paths through the grass and brush. Several times, other fishermen pushed their way into the run or hole that we were actively fishing (and there wasn't room for both of us), especially if they saw one of us catch a fish. I was taken aback by this behavior. It certainly didn't seem like "normal" streamside ethics to me. I regularly fish many popular spots, the Big Horn, Yellowstone, and Madison Rivers in Montana, the North Platte, Green, and Snake in Wyoming. And I have never seen this much aggression. Maybe just unreasonable expectations...

Alaska is enormous and beautiful. I am sure that there is fantastic fishing, and many places that don't get "pounded" by excessive fishing pressure. But, the shear size and diversity of the place is overwhelming. Looks to me as if you can't do too much homework in preparation for you Alaska trip. Don't be afraid to call several fly shops, guides, whoever... Get as much advice as you can.

Unfortunately, I found this part of the forum, just tonight, too late to help with my trip.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

In addition to the cost, I would say having the time off from work. However, as I get more time since the kids are grown and I'll soon be getting another week of vacation per year, another trip to Alaska looks promising.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 PM

bigcoho is on a distinguished road

We just loaded up all of our stuff and came up. Have more money now so maybe made the right choice. We like it here
Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoho View Post
We just loaded up all of our stuff and came up. Have more money now so maybe made the right choice. We like it here
Hello,

Where are you living (town)

Ard

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
Just got back from a wonderful 10 day trip to AK with my wife. It was mostly just an anniversary vacation, but we did fish for the last 4 days. Trip was great, the fishing was just ok.
I sure do wish you had gotten in touch and I don't mean to hire a guide when I say that. Unless there are some sort of conditions such as flooding (in my part of the state) I do not go to the Kenai area at all. Yes there are fish there but the people you describe are Always there.

As you went on to surmise there are places that you can go that are not like the Kenai but you need a contact to help you find some peace even here.

Ard
caseywise likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2013, 06:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I will relate a recent Alaska fishing experience.

We tried some do-it-yourself, close to the road fishing, at various places around the Kenai Peninsula. IMO, It was very affordable, $55 for a 7 day fishing license and a ton of good access.

Our results were just fair. Admittedly, I didn't call anyone or get any advice other than just general internet searches and a few popular Alaska Fishing Guidebooks. I also haven't fished much in the Salmon/ Sea-run realm, mostly trout fishing in the Rocky Mountain region. Also, we didn't get too far from the beaten path as my wife (and myself as well) were a little nervous about bruins.

The Silvers were pretty much done running, with relatively few, fresh fish, just luck of the draw with timing. Also, all the water was really high as they have had a very wet late summer in AK. The Kenai River itself is really big and fast and really tough to wade fish. Looks to me as if it is pretty much the realm of the drift boat. (Maybe, I just didn't know where to go)

I did catch a very nice steelhead and several, hard fighting Dolly Varden (I was very impressed with this species). It was pretty interesting watching the Rainbows and Dolly Vardens really dogging the spawned out Salmon. But, I had a hard time convincing these fish to eat my bead eggs and flesh flies rather than the live fish that they were focused on. I really admire the angler that can get these little carnivores to eat a fly.

What was really surprising to me was amount of fishing pressure these places get, and the aggressive attitude of adjacent anglers. The banks were beat down with big paths through the grass and brush. Several times, other fishermen pushed their way into the run or hole that we were actively fishing (and there wasn't room for both of us), especially if they saw one of us catch a fish. I was taken aback by this behavior. It certainly didn't seem like "normal" streamside ethics to me. I regularly fish many popular spots, the Big Horn, Yellowstone, and Madison Rivers in Montana, the North Platte, Green, and Snake in Wyoming. And I have never seen this much aggression. Maybe just unreasonable expectations...

Alaska is enormous and beautiful. I am sure that there is fantastic fishing, and many places that don't get "pounded" by excessive fishing pressure. But, the shear size and diversity of the place is overwhelming. Looks to me as if you can't do too much homework in preparation for you Alaska trip. Don't be afraid to call several fly shops, guides, whoever... Get as much advice as you can.

Unfortunately, I found this part of the forum, just tonight, too late to help with my trip.
Coolhand: I wish you would have asked the members here before going to Alaska, your fishing experience might have been much better. The streamside eithics in the most popular spots can be pretty disgusting. I have seen and experienced what you are talking about, I don't like fishing like that either so I look for more isolated spots, they can be found with a little leg work and preparation in advance.

Larry
Hardyreels and caseywise like this.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:47 PM

bigcoho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hello,

Where are you living (town)

Ard
The worse place a person could be in Alaska. Anchorage
Old 10-31-2013, 07:21 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Haven't been on the forum too long so I never saw this thread. I had never given much thought to Alaska previously. I have vacationed to northern MN for 25 years and my bucket list fishing trip was always a fly in trip to Saskatchewan or Manitoba, CA for Pike. But after a few months on this forum, Alaska is being considered for trout and pike.

Here is my previous knowledge of Alaska. Early in my Army career, (about 1982, I spent about a month at Ft Wainwright near Fairbanks. It was January. It almost got above 0 a couple times, and it was sorta daylight about 5-6 hours a day. I was in a helicopter unit so I did get to see some of the surrounding area and it was amazing scenery.

I've heard rumours Alaskan winters may not actually be 12 months long. I am very seriously considering my first bucket list trip be next year and make it Alaska. It will be a pike and trout tip for sure.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by ia_trouter; 11-02-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Haven't been on the forum too long so I never saw this thread. I had never given much thought to Alaska previously. I have vacationed to northern MN for 25 years and my bucket list fishing trip was always a fly in trip to Saskatchewan or Manitoba, CA for Pike. But after a few months on this forum, Alaska is being considered for trout and pike.

Here is my previous knowledge of Alaska. Early in my Army career, (about 1982, I spent about a month at Ft Wainwright near Fairbanks. It was January. It almost got above 0 a couple times, and it was sorta daylight about 5-6 hours a day. I was in a helicopter unit so I did get to see some of the surrounding area and it was amazing scenery.

Fast forward 25 years and I am still in the military, but this time in the Middle East for 364 days. It's 115 degrees and boring sometimes but we got a video collection and I watched about 50 episodes of Northern Exposure. Alaska seemed more inviting but perhaps that was because it didn't look so hot.

I've heard rumours Alaskan winters may not actually be 12 months long. At 51 years old I don't plan to die soon, but you never know so I am very seriously considering my first bucket first bucket list trip be next year and make it Alaska. It will be a pike and trout tip for sure.
Alaska is a wonderful place to visit and fish, you just can't show up in Anchorage, rent a car and expect the fly fishing adventure of a lifetime. On the other hand, if you do your research, ask lots of questions you will end up with some really awesome fishing without spending a fortune at one of the fly out lodges that are charging upwards of $7,500/person/week.

Larry

Old 10-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Trouter,

If you get serious about this as the new year comes, I can send you to a lodge that will have plenty of each. Of course weather can always become a factor but the pike are in a lake so rainy days this is where we go fishing if the river gets muddied up.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;