The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 07:45 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Trouter,

If you get serious about this as the new year comes, I can send you to a lodge that will have plenty of each. Of course weather can always become a factor but the pike are in a lake so rainy days this is where we go fishing if the river gets muddied up.

Ard
I don't care about nice lodges and flying for the sake of flying in a scary puddle jumper bush plane

I'll PM you as I know this forum is not your personal BIZ website.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good enough, I'll try to explain the fishing and what I believe would send you home with the best memories.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2013, 08:36 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

What's keeping me from Alaska?

1- I live in another Flyfishing Mecca: Colorado. Way too much yet to see right here.

2- Money. Not so much the airfare and cabin, but my 'lil 5wt won't cut it up yonder. And other stuff. I don't want a once-in-a-lifetime trip ruined for lack of or improper gear.

3- Airlines. I travel a bit for work, and I HATE the insult that airline travel has become. I'll save you all the rant. When I can afford my own plane (the smaller and scarier the better!), I'll be up there a lot!

Buying lottery tickets weekly,
CAB
Old 11-01-2013, 06:01 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa dave View Post
Money and time...two very bad excuses. Yet they are my excuses, too. Between pay cuts, a son in college and one in culinary school, there is scarcely a dollar extra any more.

Someday...
This is me, to a tee. I have two kids in college right now and I don't know how long it will take the lot of us to dig out of this stinking hole. It is probably not as bad as it seems right now but money is certainly the thing holding me back.

The other tiny problem is that, while I would LOVE to go to Alaska, the bride wants nothing to do with it....

I will wait for my comeuppance for saying that last line.......
Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I have three main things that have stopped me from going so far...

1. Money. Not much of a reason anymore but at one time, money for an Alaskan trip wasn't really there.

2. The enormity of it all and not having any clue on where to really start. The obvious solution to this is a guide - refer back to reason 1.

3. The only real excuse I have anymore is that my wife and I have not been on a vacation in about 3 years. I would pretty much be a single guy if I took a vacation without her to Alaska to go fishing. "So why not bring her?" you may ask. Well, short of an Alaskan cruise during the warmest part of the year, her desire to go to Alaska is about the same as mine to have a colonoscopy.
busbus likes this.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
3. The only real excuse I have anymore is that my wife and I have not been on a vacation in about 3 years. I would pretty much be a single guy if I took a vacation without her to Alaska to go fishing. "So why not bring her?" you may ask. Well, short of an Alaskan cruise during the warmest part of the year, her desire to go to Alaska is about the same as mine to have a colonoscopy.
That's it!! Thing is, I would be a single guy again but there would be no money to even go to a Motel 6 in McKees Rocks for one night after she got done with me.

(Only people familiar with Pittsburgh would understand McKees Rocks...)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Being a thousand miles from family and starting a career, all my vacation time gets devoted to family. And unfortunately that family does not live in Alaska.

It's funny. When I had the time, I didn't have the money. Now I have the money, but not the time.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Me? I can get 'the shakes' so badly at times I don't even try to walk. The idea of a long trip is still in my dreams as I look at the photo's here on the Board.

A good 'imagination' is a good thing. You can be anywhere and 'be anywhere.'

fae
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:07 PM

monello will become famous soon enough

I did the RV rental a few years ago. Had a great time but the fishing wasn't the best. Saw the most incredible scenery.

I did research and headed back the next year but later in the season. I caught pinks till my arms were sore. Managed a few silvers also.

Then I got bold and planned a road trip. I took 4 weeks to drive up from Maryland. Spent 2 1/2 months. Split time between Ninilchik and Soldotna. I fished a lot of the lakes in addition to the river. Filled the freezer with fish. I even smoked and canned fish while I was there.

I followed that up with 1 more full summer in Seward. The next year I went to Ketchikan for 2 1/2 months. Not the best fishing there from shore but I got to experience a different part of Alaska.

So now I haven't been back for a few years. Alaska keeps calling to me. I put off going because of gas prices and the desire to see different places. I'd rather drive so I can have more of my gear. I may end up just doing the RV rental for 2 weeks again sometime soon.

Someone said about not having the proper gear. I'd fly fish for pinks in Resurrection creek in Seward. I'd just use a 5wt, 2/0 hook & some yarn. I'd have a blast with the pinks. Every so often I'd catch a chrome silver. Talk about fun. It would take me forever to land that fish. First I'd just let them run in the current for a while. I'd gain line when I could. Keeping just enough pressure on to let the fish know I was there.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:17 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Ever since I can remember in The late 60s early 70s I always wanted one day to Visit Alaska.
Well after Flying in Large & Small Planes as well as Driving virtually through all The States in Australia I have since made it to Alaska twice where I've made friend from all over The World & hoping to return in 2014.
The only difference to Flying around Alaska compared to Australia we Land on Bush & Country Strips whereas in Alaska The main Travel is Float Planes.
Also everyone I've Fished with has known their stuff as well.
So any of you who make The Trip up North even though The North West is also a Beautiful Place won't regret it.
I've found The Pilots in Alaska to be Top Class & know their stuff as in years gone by I've also flown with some of The Best as one mate flew Commercial in New Guinea for years and another was The Best Crop Duster around.
Also hopefully I can do an RV Trip as well.
Brian.