The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

It goes without saying that Alaska is a long way from anywhere in the lower 48 states. Air fare alone can be a substantial cost but beyond the cost of getting here & non resident license fees what is keeping you from coming to Alaska to fly fish?

Ard

An uncrowded spot that I visit;

Click the image to open in full size.
mrs_fysh likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: What Keeps You From Going to Alaska to Fish?

Beyond the cost? Having the right person or people to go with. -m
grassonfly likes this.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

It's on my list of things to do. The biggest thing for me is the economy. i own a small contracting business and we are off about 65% compared to 5 years ago. I will be there one of these days as business is getting better but it's is going to be a few years.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Forum rules say that need at least 10 characters, correct?
So here's my answer:

$$$$$$$$$$

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-16-2012, 06:10 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

I think a lot of people over estimate how much it costs. It's expensive to travel anywhere, but a DIY trip can be done easily. Of course, if an Alaska trip only means staying at a Bristol Bay lodge then it probably is a very expensive trip!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: I'm really itching to get back to AK for some fishing. I promised the girlfriend that I would take her to France first, the plan was to go in the Spring, but I didn't realize I needed a passport before I could even make a flight reservation (I think that requirement is a Homeland security deal), so now we are planning to go in the fall, sight seeing in Paris (not my idea) and then taking the train down to southern France and spending a few days with JP and his wife.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Time, would be a huge factor for me. The area is so large and unknown to those of us in the lower 48, unless you hired a guide. I can see spending almost an entire trip just learning about a particular area and meeting the right people whom you could trust for accurate information. A person could easily put themselves in a life threatening situation if not enough time is spent learning a particular area. I think it would still be a great trip as long as your expectations of catching fish were kept low.

Dave
Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I will echo fire instructor's comment:

Forum rules say that need at least 10 characters, correct?
So here's my answer:

$$$$$$$$$$

There's so much more involved, from a dollar standpoint, than just the cost of a plane ticket and a license.

Gary
Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Money has been a factor, and still is depending on the timing.
Finishing the landscape renovation for our daughters wedding this Summer (atleast that's when they tell us it is (now)) has thrown a monkey wrench in our plans temporarily.

Soon we won't have any more excuses.

Soon...

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You people should be aware that you have a friend in Alaska here on this forum. Bringing someone with may make you feel that you are with a friend but having a connection here can be a huge factor. Just say'en,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;