The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Alaska General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/alaska-general-discussion/)
-   -   I think the folks in Anchorage are glad winters over. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/alaska-general-discussion/263328-i-think-folks-anchorage-glad-winters-over.html)

fredaevans 04-09-2012 08:23 AM

I think the folks in Anchorage are glad winters over.

11 and a half feet of snow in down town Anchorage this winter ... upwards of 350 inches in the surrounding mountains.

Anchorage, Alaska Snow Record Broken With Spring Snowfall

Hardyreels 04-09-2012 11:37 AM

Re: I think the folks in Anchorage are glad winters over.

Hi Fred,

I don't know if where I live we got less / more / or tied them but there has been a lot of snow this year. The past 2 weeks had seen some melt off get started and we were down to about 18" still on the ground but then we had a warm snow start on Friday and last until yesterday morning (Sunday) Although much of the snow melted when it landed there had to have been the equivalent of 14" that fell. As I watched it I was glad that this was April and not October.

During the months of the winter there were several warm periods that caused a great deal of the snow to melt and to lose loft. Had it not been for those warm spells it would have been covering the ground by 6 or 7 feet I'm sure. With the weather warming those who live in low lying areas are now going to need to keep the sump pumps running 27/7 because of pooling water. The ground is frozen down about 3 foot so the melting snow just heads for the gathering spots and forms ponds. These are always popular with the ducks who will begin arriving soon but very unpopular whit some residents.

I'm ready for a break here :)

theboz 04-09-2012 02:27 PM

Ard
The more I read your posts concerning Alaska the more I realize how much work is involved in living there . You pump , shovel .
, maintain vehicles keep heat going on and on. The amount of equipment to survive everyday living seems endless. All the credit goes to Alaskens for dealing with all these hardships so you can enjoy and fish this beautiful place. My hat goes off to you.

Hardyreels 04-09-2012 05:18 PM

Boz,

This story will help you to understand what can happen if there isn't any snow here over the winter. This was just a short 14 months ago. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ts-frozen.html

theboz 04-09-2012 05:30 PM

Ard
That is unreal. And like I said more equipment. You need to have a mini Home Depot in your garage. Must make life there very interesting if not extra tough.

stanbiker 04-10-2012 10:06 AM

The road south has melted enough to look encouraging. I made the drive with my son on Friday. Only 1 rainbow, but it's ok to kick off the season!

So, aside from the lake that used to be my driveway...I'm ready for breakup.

ak4570 04-11-2012 10:44 PM

The issue with the record snowfall in Anchortown and surrounding areas is a lack of places to PUT all that snow... when you plow the streets repeatedly, you run in to a very real lack of snow storage locations... here in Valdez, although we have so far received 432 inches of snow, we've got lots of lots (pun intended) to stuff it into... a picture search of Valdez may reveal the fact that although we have been getting some lovely Spring temperatures, our snow piles still exceed the height of the power lines by some 15 - 20 feet.

Hopefully our local rivers will have receded to fishable levels by mid-summer...:(

John