The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Ever Had This Happen?

Yesterday while I was landing a silver salmon I had a Bald Eagle make four passes over the fish while I had it in a shallow area. He / she was thinking on it I'm sure but at around 8 pounds the fish was too big. I believe that if it would have been a trout in the 14 inch class the bird would have taken a shot at it. It was pretty cool while it was going on and sooner or later it just may happen.

This isn't him but................

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-18-2010, 02:47 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ever Had This Happen?

No, but there have been more than a few times when and eagle (no a bald eagle) was fishing the same water as me. I've had them dive within 30 yards of me more than a few times.

Last edited by mudbug; 07-18-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a wonderful bird Ard!Reminds me once I was fishing for pike with a friend a seagull caught the bait fish I was casting,flew away with it and dropped it when I pulled the linewagtails often try to catch my fly drifing on the surface...I hooked a mallard long ago...
Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

In Arkansas on the White river, I had a blue herion grab my trout that i was trying to land and fly off with it.It was still on my line, i jerked it out of his mouth. that is the truth I had A witness. R Reese
Old 07-18-2010, 08:04 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
seagull caught the bait fish I was casting
This reminds me of the story my uncle told me about fishing of the pier at some beach for King Mackerel. No one was having any luck so he tied on a fairly large bait fish and casted. A pelican flew by and caught the thing. But instead of turning it loose when my uncle pulled on the line, it unfortunately got himself hooked. Took quite a while to get the bird safely in and unhooked but no serious damage was done.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
This reminds me of the story my uncle told me about fishing of the pier at some beach for King Mackerel. No one was having any luck so he tied on a fairly large bait fish and casted. A pelican flew by and caught the thing. But instead of turning it loose when my uncle pulled on the line, it unfortunately got himself hooked. Took quite a while to get the bird safely in and unhooked but no serious damage was done.

That reminds me of my Grandfather who was fishing one evening and didn't realize his casting bubble had lost some water and was floating on top. An owl dove on it (maybe he thought it was a mouse?) and ended up snagged in the line.

He had to reel it in and throw a coat over it so he could get it released.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Oh yeah, brown bats snatching dry flies on Penn's Creek, Osprey hitting the water 20' in front of my drift boat, even a close call with a beaver, but never had an eagle try to take the fish yet. This one was thinking on it I believe.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-18-2010, 10:30 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

No but I caught as swallow about a month ago on my forward cast.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, it happened to me about two years ago. There was a big Rainbow that was swimming in shallow water on a fairly bright day. It didn't make a lot of sense to me and I remember wondering it there was something wrong with the fish, because at his size (looked like he was over 20"; he swam within 5 ft. of me), he should have been holding in deep water.

I decided to go after him with a dry. I cast to him, thought it was a pretty good cast - when all of a sudden an eagle came out of nowhere, hit the water with a big splash, grabbed "my" fish and headed off out of sight!

That was one fish that I didn't mind loosing.

Pocono