The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Plenty of Rain Soaks South Central & the Rivers Respond;

Over the past 36 - 48 hours there has been anywhere from 2 - 4 inches of rain in central Alaska. I made a trip to my favorite haunt yesterday but found the water a bit high to harbor matching hopes for fly fishing a King. Today the precipitation has ceased and with continued clearing I should be out by tomorrow night. Often I have warned traveling fishermen of the chance of bad conditions here, had I had guests yesterday we would have fished anyway but the raised flows make it both tough fishing and dangerous.

I stood in the rain for half an hour watching the area above the boat launch for any signs of a fish but nothing showed so I made the decision to come home and wait it out for a day or two. It is not unusual to find some right at the launch area that survive in relative peace because everyone has designs on a distant spot Things are just getting started and hopefully the rain has played itself out for a while now.

Here's a snapshot of a hen caught & released a few days ago;

Click the image to open in full size.

Don't worry, she was only at the shore line for a few seconds because I had the camera ready before I ever led her in like that. I slipped out the 'AK. Assassin' and she swam off hopefully to lay the eggs that had her so fat.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plenty of Rain Soaks South Central & the Rivers Respond;

Hope you can find great weather and fishing conditions soon ArdJune has been unusually rainy here too
Old 06-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JP,

I need a break, Nancy wants me to put her right on these fish so she can get a shiny one. Last year the only king she caught came during the sockeye fishing and was an old red male.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:10 PM

jaydawg is on a distinguished road

Beautiful fish!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jason,

I'm glad to have been able to get you on the forum.

Ard

Old 06-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,
Which rod were you using, the Hardy or the Winston?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Hardy,

Be glad you aren't here right now; we would be fishing the lakes for trout not the rivers.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it would be the Hardy.

I know the rivers rising this time was due to rain.....how was the run off going before this storm? and what are your thoughts on when runoff will be over?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Run off is an all summer thing. Once the snow pack has melted on the low lying land then the upper slope snow & ice is melting. Once the upper slope snow & etc is done the glaciers at the heads of the rivers keep things watered. The flows were great prior to this storm. I would be out right now but I have a problem with the 'no shore' concept. I like to park and wade and I know the places where I fish. When the water is up 1 - 2 foot there is no real way for me to know where there should be a fish. Combine that with the increase in velocity of current and reduced underwater visibility and it's a game changer.