The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 AM

afman87 is on a distinguished road
Default Jumping Grayling!

I am all grins right now! I went to my local grayling slough today with my recently acquired 3wt and had a blast. I normally use a bead headed red copper john (admittedly I had to look that up...) but today I decided wanted to see those huge sails fly and try some dry flies. Armed with my new silicone and dry fly powder I slung flies for hours in beautiful 70 degree weather. Strike after strike of acrobats had me giggling (wife says giggling makes me sound like a girl so... chuckling) all day. I only ended up landing two but I probably had probably 100 strikes. (After reading that I am a little ashamed but I'm going to blame the fish for their bad aim.) I have a bit of a similar style to Hardyreel because either they hook them self or they don't get hooked at all. I take no pleasure in snagging fish. I didn't catch any monsters. The biggest being probably 9in, but seeing these fish fling themselves out of the water after my not so perfectly presented fly was simply food for the soul. I have come to the conclusion the grayling are the most flattering fish I have ever had the privilege to share the water with.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jumping Grayling!

Fishing Grayling with dries is the ultimate fun! I used to fish for them in Alaska with a 4 wt and know what you are talking about. In clear water you can see the fish coming up from the bottom and makes it so much fun. Congrats on a great day!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I know you had a ball just the way you wrote your story. Even though I see them feeding on Caddis and May Flies I've not used a dry for years. You might want to give a streamer type fly a go one of these days. I use a fly that is fancier than would be needed but am sure it works so I keep using them. If you look on the Flies For Alaska Salmon & Steelhead thread right at the top is the Nine Three, either style tied to a 34 or 6 streamer hook will do. Sounds big huh; it seems that wherever there are 9" Grayling eating flies on the surface there are bigger ones underwater. that's how it is where I fish them anyway so I stick to the wets. Since last year I've been using a fly called, Jock O' Dee that I learned how to make by participating in Allan's (Pocono) salmon fly tie along. They are supposed to be salmon flies but I've caught everything that swims around here on them.

Just saying, try some larger wets that will look about the size of young Grayling - trout - char - or salmon, and see if it'll work for you too.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

AF, that sounds awesome! But also makes me feel rather foolish that I have yet to catch any in the lake here... granted I have never seen a fish rise on the lake when I've been there so I'm probably not even fishing to the schools, but we'll let that slide... What a great day on your end!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Great tips hardyreel. to tell you the truth I was wanting to ask someone about targeting larger fish but alas you beat me to the punch. My only problem with going deep is right now my slough is filled with the green stuff. Early in the season is perfect for it but it seems tough. I talked with a guy one who told me bigger flies catch bigger fish. I just wasn't sure how big to go on such a delicate fish. I'm not a trophy fisherman by any means but I would love to see what my little 3wt can do.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:42 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I really need to get out of Ohio!
Old 07-29-2012, 02:50 AM

Hardyreel you are the MAN! I caught fist fulls great sized grayling today. Used a #6 Black Woolly Bugger with some green tinsel running through it. Honestly I kind of thought you were full of it when the first fish I hooked was about 5in... but then I stopped setting the hook on strikes I could see and waited to feel them. Smallest fish I caught after that was 12in even a couple 16" and an 18". Even let my 3year old reel a few in! Her first!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:34 AM

adidas4275 is on a distinguished road

Alaska is the only place I have fished where ALL the fish strike so hard they fly out of the water! It is amazing and makes me grin just thinking about it.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:39 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

What a great photo of your little girl bringing in the fish! Maybe next year I'll get out after grayling...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:11 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Not only is that a great picture of your little girl fighting the Grayling but she has the coolest waders ever!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser