The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How We Smoke Alaska Salmon;

Ard - how hot is your smoker running when you do the salmon? It looks great.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Not very hot I have never taken a temp but it supposed to be around 165*. The air temp when you do it affects the total time the fish must be in them it is the duration that the fish is in that gets it done. We place the thin stuff on the top racks and the thickest on the bottom racks. After about 8 hours you start checking the thin stuff. The smokers are supposed to get the fish to 165* at 145* the meat is Pasteurized.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. My smoker can run about 175 most of time, so I bet I could come close to matching your results. With the obvious difference of not having access to freshly caught salmon and having to get by with the flash frozen and shipped variety. So maybe I can just match your technique, not your result.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived down east I found Great Lakes steelhead were pretty tasty.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Hey Ard the salmon sounds awesome. Ive never actually had smoked salmon but your process is very similar to what my father-in-law does with the laker trout we catch in upstate NY. Absolutely divine!!!
Thanks for the instructions.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chef Ard
Your salmon looks delicious, but I'm used to seeing smoked salmon looking more like this:
Click the image to open in full size.
Is it a difference in smoking time, cut of the fillet, perishability of the salmon that appears less smoked (my pic), or all of the above? How long will your smoked salmon last refrigerated? Can I send a SASE, and get a taste? It's funny, but I always wanted to buy a smoker when I was a kid without money. Now that I can afford one, I don't have one. Perhaps if I had salmon swimming past, I'd own a smoker....
Old 07-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Hi Frank,

The fillet in the photo looks like cold smoked Lox salmon. I vacuum pack and freeze and have never left any around long enough for it to spoil. It is kinda like moist jerky when done.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FrankB2,

Ard's method is pretty normal in Alaska. He does use a brine cure and some like a dry cure. I always used a dry cure but the methods are pretty similar other than the cure. I think Ard is right about the fish in your picture. No self respecting Alaskan would call that smoked salmon.

Frank
Old 08-07-2010, 09:25 PM

Lambchop is on a distinguished road

Doc,
Now there's something that works a lot better up there than it would down here with brookies. Looks good.
the Chop
Old 08-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Administrator

I've been wondering where you have been.....................

D1