The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 01:25 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: How We Smoke Alaska Salmon;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Ard, you posted 2 QUARTS of Soy sauce. Is that correct? Seems like a lot of soy sauce.
Ard, I had the same question as MOJO...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dan,

It's a lot of brine when you are done. You can experiment with things as you go I seldom have the same content in any batch. The last batch made a sweeter product because I cut the soy a tad and jacked up the wine level. Cutting back on salt makes a better fish for my taste also. I guess my recipe is just a starting point and you should make small batches of fish and adjust to your own taste.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Ard,

With that much brine (soy, wine, etc) left when you are done...is here anything you can do with it? e.g. do you have a recipe to make it into a marinade or sauce for future use? or is it just too salty?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I have thought about this often but after having all that raw fish in it I'm not real keen on using it for anything. If I were doing several batches of fish at once I could reuse it that way but I just dump it.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:59 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

When you are done with brine it is a pritty good non-selective weed killer

Ard nice job on the salmon, My mouth is watering just looking at it

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice job ard!

Last edited by caseywise; 01-15-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:48 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I think this might warrant a new thread for the the various different recipes that might be offered and let Ards stand on its own, but I take quite a different approach. When it comes salmon season again I would be happy to do an entire direction and photo montage to explain it.

Basically, I have a much more traditional way of going about it. It has been done in roughly the same way for thousands of years. My brine is heavy on salt...4 cups for gallons of water. Throw in about half the volume in brown sugar to taste. This is a short but sharp brine. Soak the fish for not more than 30 minutes. Then rinse it. Hang to dry until it is tacky. Then smoke until done or to taste, because having such a strong brine the fish is generally mostly cured by the time you smoke it. Just another variation on the many ways to smoke a salmon.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:34 AM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

That looks so yummy Ard!

You mention that you let it soak for minimum 8 hrs....what's the max? I like to sleep in so would expect it to be sitting in the brine for 15 - 16 hours.

Also, have you tried this on other fish? If so, do you find it's a good all-around brine or just for salmon?

--Eric
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Hi Eric,

We generally shoot for 8 hours because we don't want the brine to completely over power the fish. You may find that after all the work of skinning and cutting the fish and getting them into the brine you will be anxious to get up and get the smokers going at first light. Between the time spent harvesting the fish and all the preparation you become focused on getting good results. It's kinda like baking, you can't just put that pie in the oven and forget about it

The only other fish I have done like this are Char and they came out well also. Sometimes I get into a bunch of them that are large enough to fillet and I take some. We are always adjusting the brine by cutting back a little on the soy and salt and adding more wine and a pinch of sugar. When the fish is either too salty or strong with the soy it isn't as good. Right now we have it right where we want it. As soon as the weather breaks to 40* days we will be doing a batch of fall silvers up and they will last until the fish come this spring / summer

Old 01-16-2011, 03:01 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_e View Post
That looks so yummy Ard!

You mention that you let it soak for minimum 8 hrs....what's the max? I like to sleep in so would expect it to be sitting in the brine for 15 - 16 hours.

Also, have you tried this on other fish? If so, do you find it's a good all-around brine or just for salmon?

--Eric
You can weakin the brine to make it take longer, but it would be wise to go the other way and strengthen it so it takes less time (you dont want to start needing sodium nitrite to inhibit bacteria groth in your brine) there are some great recipies where you brine them for upto 3weeks (you need sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate) you need to know what you are doing for long cures.

to experement with any recipie (brining and salt curing), you will need to know the target weight loss for the recipie (usualy about 8-9% but can be as low as 2-3% this is not total weight loss, its is weight loss from brining) and yes even though its being soaked it looses water.

It would pay to follow the recipie a few times, weigh the same piece through the process, then you will get a feel for it and can play around with it a bit

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD