The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default How We Smoke Alaska Salmon;

There have been several members who requested a thread about smoking salmon. Over the years we have came up with some pretty good smoked fish. This is the recipe we have settled on.

Salmon: Three average fish 8lb live weight each

First cut the fish and try to get most of the bones out. I have smoked whole fillets but found that cutting the fish into thin strips ala jerky style was more handy as a snack food.

Next you must make a brine:

Salt: 1/2 cup
Sugar: 1 1/3 cup
Soy Sauce: 2 quarts
Tabasco Sauce: 1 or 2 teaspoons your taste
White wine: 1 quart
Water: One quart
Onion Powder: 2 teaspoons
Garlic Powder: 2 teaspoons
Black pepper: 4 teaspoons

Combine these to make a batch of liquid that you will soak the fish in. For larger batches or smaller multiply or divide the recipe. The above recipe will brine three average salmon.

Place some brine in a suitable container and begin adding fish I use a roaster pan here;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Continue adding fish and brine until all are in the container and there are no pieces of fish that are stuck together. You want all exposed to the solution and brine should cover the fish. Soak in brine for at least 8 hours refrigerated.

After soaking 8 hours, drain the brine;

Next you need to spread the fish out and dry it a bit. You can see the fan we use to speed up the drying. When the pieces begin to feel a little tacky you are ready to load your smoker racks.

Place the racks in your smokers. We use electric smokers and I typically burn 5 or six pans of Hickory chips when I do this. Check often to see if it is time for more hickory chips during the first 2 hours. The thinner pieces of fish will be ready in about 8 hours. The thicker pieces will take 12 - 14 hours.

The finished product known in this household as Red Gold;

I have tried several different smoked salmon recipes and found it best to stay away from the super salty or spicy ones, they overpower the taste of the salmon.

Enjoy,

Ard
Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How We Smoke Alaska Salmon;

Ard, Now that looks really great. I can imagine what they taste like...too bad we are so far apart, I could swap you deer jerky for the salmon. You have a pretty nice set up ole friend. It is nice of you to share your recipe as well. I use a Bradley Smoker because I dont have to babysit it. Ha!

Best Regards, Boser
Old 07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Wow, does that look good! Now my mouth is watering, looking at that great looking batch of smoked salmon! I sure do miss living in AK.

Larry
Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

You're a real CHEF Ardlooking forward next post:how to eat smoked salmon
Old 07-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I am doing that as I type this Jean Paul

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Yummmie. Please pass the Salmon. That stuff is so good.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:34 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Dang Ard that's some serious good lookin salmon. Yummmmmm
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Thanks Ard.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-20-2010, 06:36 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Ard, you posted 2 QUARTS of Soy sauce. Is that correct? Seems like a lot of soy sauce.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Mojo,

The batch was only a one half batch. It takes a lot of brine to cover that much fish. Remember this was for 3 salmon, I should have weighed the meat. I would guess the meat weighed between 12 - 14 pounds. The live weight of the whole fish was 24 pounds. They always come out good, you don't pick the soy sauce out when you taste the fish.

Note: You can substitute some Bar B Q sauce for the Tabasco, or you can slip in some mashed Jalapeņos and juice to spice it up.

We have done some experimenting and like the Bar B Q style also. You gotta kinda eyeball it because you could end up to sweet.

Ard