The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The Waters Are Receding;

I have not bothered to go driving to see our flooded rivers here in the valley. Our local Public Radio station has done a respectable job of covering the rise and now the fall of flood waters in the area so I left the truck set and saved my fuel for the coming week.

This mornings report stated that the Talkeetna River had dropped 7 feet and was no longer a threat to the little tourist town of Talkeetna. The Big Su has not yet made its crest nor has the Yetna River. These 2 rivers are huge when not flooded and the current conditions will have them at a flow level that would be frightening to get near.

In a few more days I'll go looking for boat launches that have not been damaged and put in for a go & see trip.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-23-2012, 01:26 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Waters Are Receding;

Ard, are the expected crests of the Yetna and Su going to be out of banks, and if so how far upstream will they be out of banks.

Be careful when you decide to go out in the boat, there will be lots of new snags and gravel bars.

Dave
Old 09-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's good news Ard....agree with Ltd...be carefulbut you're a big boy,aren't you?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

The rivers are well over their banks but due to the fact that these are areas with very few people actually living near the water reports are few. I do have friends that live along the Yetna but calling them is something I won't do. If they are flooded there is nothing I could do to help them and if they aren't, I'll find out when I go up the river.

There are plenty of cabins along the yetna once you get about 30 miles up the river and I can only guess there has been some lost, this too I'll see when I go up.

This picture was taken 4 weeks ago as I was headed home. The river (Yetna) is huge when not in a high water state and when it's up and running wild it's even bigger. This shot shows a look down river about 6 miles above its confluence with the Susitna. When to 2 rivers join it's pretty impressive, more water than the Mississippi I would guess.

Click the image to open in full size.

Aside from its sometimes frightening demeanor I love traveling on the Yetna. I stand at the console for hours every trip to the cabin and regardless of the weather conditions marvel at the scenes I am privileged to take in.

I look at all of this and always think of the life I left behind 8 years ago now. I miss the folded mountains of Northern Pennsylvania and my view of Pike's Peak when I lived in Colorado, but when I'm at the wheel out there on that big water; cold wind against your face, the eagles along the shores........... It's something else.
fysh, mcnerney, milt spawn and 2 others like this.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: You are indeed blessed to live in that area, the waters will recede soon and you will be back to fishing before winter sets in. We went out today and got skunked!
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Hi larry,

We just came home from a trip to Anchorage. I need to be kicked because I didn't take a camera! You would not believe the water in the Matanuska and the Knik Rivers. Nancy has been here since 1989 and never saw water this high in those years. Ship Creek at the old dam in town is running flat over the dam from side to side also, it's been a dandy this one.

Ard