The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default This Can't Be Good;

You may have noticed that there have been very few posts here on the Alaska threads this year. Truth is, this has been a very difficult year to be a fly fisherman here in my part of the state and many others I might add. While there were a few isolated days of good fishing, on a whole the weather has been working overtime against me. I have rain gear so a little rain won't stop the show but there have been other developments..........

The salmon returns were very bad, bad enough that seasons were closed for both kings & silvers. The sockeye never really came here in the valley and went largely ignored by both F&G and anglers alike. Depending on where you were the Chum salmon showed up in decent numbers but seemed to have lockjaw albeit a few tough guys who got themselves hooked to my flies.

Now, enter the weather; there were some windows of good conditions but alas there were few fish to accompany those sunny warm days. The stand out was July 9, 2012. As I drove home from Chitna I watched the outside temperature display on the rear view mirror of the truck like a hawk watching for prey. What I was studying was the number '41', that's 41* fahrenheit and it stayed there for the entire trip, 220 miles! Now 41* may sound good on a day in late March but on July 9, it sounds like 9 degrees above freezing.

So it was cloudy and unseasonably cold. There were few salmon in the rivers and creeks. Then came the rain, rain in ernest in September that is. 2 solid weeks of it causing flooding on a massive scale from Tok Junction to Kodiak Island. Fall was the last vestige of hope here. The thought of fishing for grayling, trout and char carried me through the lean and sometimes cold days of summer. Of course the flooding changed that plan and it persists still today. After having 2 days off from the rains they returned Thursday with renewed Gusto. And to finish my hopes off this is what greeted me when I looked out the window from the loft this morning.

Click the image to open in full size.

September 29, 2012 and I can only hope that nature is just joking with us here. I've been on the phone with contacts over at Kodiak hopping to find a place where I could fish. I have friends in Fairbanks but they are in the high water thing just like us.

So, when will I write some inspirational bit of post from The Great Land? I'm not quite sure but I'm hoping for a warm dry trend in the weather before November

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-29-2012, 12:45 PM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future
Default Re: This Can't Be Good;

Sorry to hear about all that. I thought we had a tough year down here with the heat, dry, and fires, but looks like you're year was rougher. I do hope you get some windows to fish in October, I'm hoping to get some in before the snows come in.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I know the view from that window!

I bet Boss was lovin' the white stuff though.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 09-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

He wasn't any more impressed than I with it. Both of us would be happier if we were wandering along shore somewhere this morning.
bradyb likes this.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Toss the 'flippie' a few more times, have a third cup of coffee, give Nancy a big hug, and run down to the Bear and get one of those awesome cheese pizza's for tonight and watch a couple movies.

Pam and I are planning to sit out by the fire pit tonight and enjoy a few beers if you guys wanna stop by......

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 09-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Administrator

The sun has came out and the snow will melt (I hope) and ..... funny thing, we're going to have a fire in the pit out back tomorrow night ourselves. With the cold air it'll be a good fire too.

I found out that if I put some sliced artichokes and Feta cheese on them they are even better

Old 09-29-2012, 03:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Crud, here in Southern Oregon ..... 1332 .... it's just a touch under 80 degrees.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:12 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

29 degrees at my parents house up in homer
it's been an interesting year up there to say the least.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Sad news indeed, sorry to see the white stuff after being flooded with rain. We are on the opposite end, dry, wildfires and extremely low water in the rivers. We've had a little rain the past couple days, but not nearly enough to makeup for such a dry summer.

Larry

Larry
Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Well the upside is that it all melted and I just finished mowing the lawn to pick up the leaves It amounted to about 3" and was pretty much gone by 2:00 PM and that's when I sprang to action. As John could tell you I have a lot of lawn here and I use a 21" rear bagger to keep things groomed. It is quite a job in the fall when the leaves try to cover things up. There is an outside chance that I'll be fishing on Tuesday but I'm not sure where I'll be at yet............ I won't rule out a trip up north for grayling (think Denali) or to the coast for steelhead, It's gonna be rain dependant I guess