The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Help From Alaska Experts

I'm trying to find the name and contact information for a small lodge that is on the Mulchatna River just a few miles below the Koktuli confluence. I haven't been able to find the info with any kind of internet search. I've contacted a couple of float plane folks and got no reply. I contacted a guide I respect up there and he said something along the lines of "Oh, yeah, so-and-so used to own that place and his head guide bought it a few years back," which is interesting but didn't help me find the name.
I know the place is there because I floated by it twice in the last two years and I talked to a father and son last year who were being picked up there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
P.S., obviously the title should be Help "From" Alaska Experts.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help From Alaska Experts

Is this the outfit you're looking for?
Little Mulchatna Lodge- Guided Alaskan Fly-in Fishing, Float Trips, and Wildlife Photography

Larry

Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 PM

Hi, Larry.
Thanks, but that's not the place. I am familar with the Little Mulchatna Lodge. John Denver used to go there. The place I'm talking about is a long ways downstream from there.
I do trips down the Koktuli River, which flows into the Mulchatna, and then most folks float down about 12 miles to the Stuyahok River confluence for float plane pickup. Problem is, there is literally only one spot to camp there, and if a bear hunting guide happens to be parked in that spot for a week or two, you're out of luck.
But there is a place in between, a lodge on the Mulchatna, just a few miles south of the Koktuli confluence with the Mulchatna. Small lodge on top of a hill, boat dock, several boats to take folks out salmon fishing. I'm thinking the last couple of days of our trip could be spent at that lodge, with beds and showers -- BUT I can't find the name of the lodge. Wish I would have stopped there last year and talked to them.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

OK, maybe another approach (rather than doing Google searches) would be to look on the Alaska Fish and Game web site to see if they have a listing of lodge or guide operators.

Edit: Well that didn't turn up anything, I found the F&G web page listing the requirements for becoming a guide but that was it. How about calling the folks at the Little Mulchatna Lodge to see if they know who their neighors are down stream (see the orginal link, it lists their phone number)? If that doesn't turn up a lead, how do lodges advertise for clients in Alaska? Maybe looking through that source would turn up that lodge you are looking for.

Ok, I found another outfit operating on the Mulchatna river, MULCHATNA WILDERNESS LODGE, maybe this is the outfit you are looking for, if not they also list a phone number and email addy at the bottom of the page.
http://www.riverquestcharters.com/dest_ak.php

If the above doesn't help, I found a web page talking about a guy named John Rydeen that used to guide on the Mulcchatna River, he might know the name of the lodge you are seeking information on. Scroll to the bottom of this page and you will see what I'm talking about. http://www.katmai-wilderness.com/staff.php

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 11-15-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Thanks, Larry, that gives me some places to start.
I was told that the folks at Iliamna Air Taxi would know the name since they fly folks in and out of there, but they're not responding. Shouldn't be this hard to find one of the only lodges on the Mulchatna.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Thanks, Larry, that gives me some places to start.
I was told that the folks at Iliamna Air Taxi would know the name since they fly folks in and out of there, but they're not responding. Shouldn't be this hard to find one of the only lodges on the Mulchatna.
Good point about the air taxi folks, they would know if you can get them to respond. Yes, it definitely seems strange that it would be this hard to find out who runs that lodge.....makes me wonder how much they advertise for customers.

Larry

Old 04-24-2013, 03:20 PM

south907 is on a distinguished road

if youre trying air services then id try Dena'ina Air and Lake Clark Air, im pretty sure both service the area your looking at.
Lake Clark Air Inc - Anchorage, AK
Dena'ina Air Taxi - Anchorage, AK (Alaska) | (907) 332-2216