The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: A Sure Sign That I'm Almost Ready To Fish;

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
How much longer before you can float the valley streams? (I was hoping a week, but that's probably too optimistic)

Where are you taking the raft this week? I'm assuming the upper...

Good luck!
Hi Stan,

Things are still pretty solid in the Valley, these cold nights are no help. Upper would be it if it's not too bad come morning. As soon as I know of the water flowing here I'll send a PM.

Casey,

I really want to go but when the flowing water is so far............ and it's been so long you get to thinking, "what's another couple days". The last thing I'll do is to drive all the ways down there for cloudy skies and a cold wind coming up that river. Is Cody into those steelhead yet?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

they've had an exceptionally cold spring down on the peninsula
and last i heard everything still has ice issues, but i'm not sure
if hes been out yet.
i'll talk too him soon and report back

casey

ARFE
Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

This whole ice thing! If it weren't for that spring would be great

On a side note: I heard on the morning radio that yesterday a female brown bear took hold of a fellow at the Public Use Area parking lot on Kasilof. The fellow had injuries to his arm but when Troopers arrived to investigate the bear charged them and was shot.

This is a dangerous time of season for man & bear alike. They are coming out but with the ice and snow clinging stubbornly to the earth there is little food. They will be prowling the river sides looking for dead salmon or a drowned moose right now. This is why I'm wanting to fish from the raft. I can anchor out in a couple feet of water and wade leaving Boss on his gear deck bed.

You can get a good look at the shore line from the middle of the river and I don't want to be wandering along at the edge of the trees right now.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Weather for Coopers landing tomorrow says.............. snow & rain showers with 41* possible high. This is probably not going to be the day I go down there.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

sounds crappy ard
i would give it a bit.

ARFE
Old 04-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Administrator

It's better than up at Paxon and the Tangle River, currently 26* and it's gonna snow there too.................

Did you read what I said a couple post back about the bear attack at Kasilof?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 PM

yeah, sketchy time of year to be on a river up there.
had a brief moment of worry when i first read
this as he's a regular up there on the kasilof.

ARFE
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Turns out it happened down at the mouth off Kalifornsky Beach Road at that access lot. The report said 'a 3-4 year old bear attacked a parked car and then a utility pole........ then it saw a guy walking along shore and went after him'. Apparently bit his arm and then took off. A Trooper and a Game Trooper went walking and it came running out of the bush at them and they killed it.

Pretty strange behavior but I am so glad that big one last year didn't just jump me before I saw it.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 PM

i hear ya ard!
makes a guys hackles stand up
if you know what i mean(and i know you do).....
my brother does carry spray and a .44
never used it, but still........
seems like brown bear activity, especially on the
peninsula, has become more and more erratic in
the past 10 yrs.

casey

ARFE
Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Probably a mirror of the erratic weather
caseywise likes this.