The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default A Sure Sign That I'm Almost Ready To Fish;

The weather has been just a little uncooperative for a few days. It's been sunny but a cold wind out of the North East has stopped me from making progress. Today the wind was down and the air was warm so I assembled my 13' FishCat raft. This takes a while and you gotta do it a couple days before you intend to use it. it's always a good idea to air the tubes up and then let it sit in the parking spot to be sure there is no leaks. If all is well by tomorrow afternoon I'll go float a river on Tuesday.

Something about alaska that never surfaced while living anywhere else; everywhere else I could fish all year long. That's not the case here. When the weather gives you the boot in October you are done for a long time. People must think that by now I'm chomping at the bit to go fishing but actually I get pretty complaisant after a long winter.

With all the rafts broken down and the pontoons stored flat in the loft over the garage............... your river boat wrapped in plastic and backed into the woods, well there's a lot to do before you can go. Now I have the river boat out and ready but there is still ice so it'll wait. The big raft is done and now I must get a gear bag ready so I don't go off half cocked. It is looking like Tuesday April 30, will open my season here.

The days are long now, daylight at 5:00 Am and stays that way until 11:00 PM so a float is worth while. You would think that if I launch by 8:30 AM and take out around 6:30 or 7:00, I ought to be able to find a couple fish. I'll have both of those shiny new Spey rods on board and the ever present Boss up front on his bed. We're gonna do a river side lunch of burgers so it'll be a real kickoff for the year. I'll take the camera and do some photos for the "I'm back" report.

If anyone wants to go let me know, there's another raft

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 AM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A Sure Sign That I'm Almost Ready To Fish;

if only i live a LITTLE closer i would be more than happy to join you. best of luck with the trip and the weather.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: That float in the raft sounds like the perfect way to start the fishing season. Here is to some good wx for your first trip of the year!!!!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of the beauties of living here in Southern Oregon with the Rogue River almost at my door step. River's open to fishing 365, save for the odd days off in the winter when the flows are too high (for fly fishing). Where to fish could be less than a 5 minute drive, or it could be an hour to the top end of the 'Wild and Scenic' section. Or over to the Coast to the Chetco in December-January in the motor home. Fished that river since 1984; know most of the rocks on a first name basis.

A 'seriously cold' day in the winter will be in the 'teens, a 'seriously hot' day would be 105 (very odd off's).

A good place.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Pity you lauch at 8:30If you had lauched at 9:00...I could have come
Have a good time on the water
Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Enjoy the day Ard!!!
It is getting to be that time of year. I have an old junk drift boat I hope to get in the water for the kenai this year, & 4 older 1 man pontoons I have picked up for the lakes so I can have the whole family enjoying the day even if I'm the only one fishing. Was looking at the pontoons yesterday thinking I need to get some air in them & get them ready. Drift boat is staying taerped for another week or so so it will stay nice & dry so I can do some fiberglass work (i have to do it outside & not warm enough yet).
My father in laws Koffler sled that I babysit for him (it's a tough job but someone has to do it) is going to the boat doc this week. it was dropping 2 cylinders last year & I don't have the test equipment to figure it out.

Ahhhh.... Spring isin the air!!!!! (although it was only *22 this morning)

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 04-29-2013, 12:30 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

Hope its' a good 1st trip of the year. If I lived about 3000 miles closer (+/-), would take you up on the opportunity, but I guess that open seat is still available. GL
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Vance,

It's colder up here, that's what keeps me from traveling. Anymore I don't need a thermometer to know the temp, I figure it was 16* around 6:15 AM here with light cloud cover.

I wanna go but drifting down the river with ice forming on my boot laces isn't my idea of fun anymore. The cold nights are keeping all our home rivers locked in ice still. We're close but there are only some open leads and no where to launch the river boat yet. May is the very best time for trout & grayling up here, sometimes into early June if things don't get too warm too quickly. Once the rivers rise the fish are still there but are very hard sport.

The good news is that the big raft is still full of air Assembly serves as a reminder as to why I wait until the last possible day before I take them down in the fall. If I tried leaving them inflated and outside all winter I'm not sure how that would work. I've been taking them down and storing the tubes indoors since I got them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

How much longer before you can float the valley streams? (I was hoping a week, but that's probably too optimistic)

Where are you taking the raft this week? I'm assuming the upper...

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

well i hope you get out soon ard
nothing beats a long winter like that first trip
of the year

casey

ARFE