The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Tuesday June 4, 2013 River Trip;

I took a ride on Tuesday from the cabin up one of the rivers near by. The water on the big river was up pretty well as was my destination river so there was no fishing done. It will be clearing soon.

These first three pictures are taken from the same spot on a large sand bar where I stopped for the purpose of photography. While under power and at speed, pictures are not an option because of the water conditions and floating debris you must watch for.

Looking up toward the Tordrillo Range, way out there to the left is Mt Spurr and to the center right is Mt. Hayes. These are both active volcano's.
Click the image to open in full size.

Looking down river;

The back water behind the sandbar

When I pulled away I took this quick shot because the sky was clearing a bit, looking up river.

About ten miles above where these pictures were taken the scenery is nothing short of incredible and like wise for the river. It is the wildest, swiftest, water I've driven here and being high didn't help. In this area the river is cutting through a canyon and it's crazy water. Because of the white knuckle driving conditions there were no pictures taken. Maybe this coming week when I go back up to camp for a couple days it'll be clear and I can shoot some serious landscapes.

I thought about cropping these but decided to let them as original to demonstrate the vastness of this place. The photos were shot at 28 mm with a polarizer.

Somehow I manage to enjoy this even though I haven't caught a fish yet this year. When the fish come they'll come like the water in the river, crazy fast and I'll be able to have my day in the sun. Living here is a sort of long wait. You wait, and you wait, generally there will be at least one day that will make the other 364 all worth it. With good fortune there will be several months of those days and you'll forget any and all hardships of your past.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 06-08-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all
Default Re: Tuesday June 4, 2013 River Trip;

Great Post Ard,
You nailed it, if showing the vastness of the area was one of your goals. Looking forward to seeing some great fish pics once your season begins.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

I have to blend all the work with river scouting. I've got a new river to learn by mid July so it'll be a good photo op thing.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Amazing landscapes, thanks for sharing! Be careful up there, it certainly sounds dangerous.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Beautiful country Ard, just looking at that shot with all the logs on the flat I can just imagine how tricky it is getting in there.