Still Heavy Runoff Conditions in South Central AK.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Tuesday June 4, 2003 around 2:45 PM.

I took a ride on Tuesday from the cabin up one of the rivers near by. The water on the big river was up pretty well as was my destination river so there was no fishing done. It will be clearing soon.

These first three pictures are taken from the same spot on a large sand bar where I stopped for the purpose of photography. While under power and at speed, pictures are not an option because of the water conditions and floating debris you must watch for.

Looking up toward the Tordrillo Range, way out there to the left is Mt Spurr and to the center right is Mt. Hayes. These are both active volcano's.

Looking down river;

The back water behind the sandbar

When I pulled away I took this quick shot because the sky was clearing a bit, looking up river.

About ten miles above where these pictures were taken the scenery is nothing short of incredible and like wise for the river. It is the wildest, swiftest, water I've driven here and being high didn't help. In this area the river is cutting through a canyon and it's crazy water. Because of the white knuckle driving conditions there were no pictures taken. Maybe this coming week when I go back up to camp for a couple days it'll be clear and I can shoot some serious landscapes.

I thought about cropping these but decided to let them as original to demonstrate the vastness of this place. The photos were shot at 28 mm with a polarizer.

Somehow I manage to enjoy this even though I haven't caught a fish yet this year. When the fish come they'll come like the water in the river, crazy fast and I'll be able to have my day in the sun. Living here is a sort of long wait. You wait, and you wait, generally there will be at least one day that will make the other 364 all worth it. With good fortune there will be several months of those days and you'll forget any and all hardships of your past.

Ard

milt spawn

Reaction score
Ard, something tells me you're very well prepared! Shouldn't be long now. FWIW, we were out bass fishing yesterday and the temp was 114. milt

Reactions: Ard