The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Trip To The Little Nelchina River;

Not every expedition turns out to be a great fishing experience. With all the rain we have been having for over 30 days nearly all destination rivers and creeks are a little higher than optimal conditions. On Wednesday I went with a friend and we used off road vehicles to reach the Little Nelchina River. Normally a clear water flow we found it high and muddy. below is a view of the river from an elevation of 4700' before we went down for a closer look.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Words can hardly paint a picture of the vastness of this place. The ride to the river took us near innumerable lakes so we opted to do some still water fishing. The lakes held Grayling and I can only suspect that there must be some large ones. You can't prove it by what I caught but the big guys gotta be around. There were so many of this size that every time my size 16 Heneryville Caddis hit the water there was an immediate swirl under the fly. Some may have been an inch longer or a couple ounces heavier than others but it was obvious that we weren't in the right spot to find and trophy fish.

The trail although mostly dry contained many low lying areas where you had to take your pick of which pond to cross in order to reach the dry ground on the other side. After getting stuck close to the area in the picture below and being winched out by my pal I took the high trail and found a good place to cross. As you can see my buddy decided that he might be able to make it at another crossing than the one I used.

Given the distance we traveled (about 70 miles round trip) we really didn't remember where we crossed every bog on the way in and we had to kinda pick a place and go for it. Being that we were on the way back to the trailers we were less cautious than we had been on the way in early in the morning. Now if you were not still at least ten miles from a road this may have been funny but neither of us were laughing at this time. Yes the motor quit at this point; I went back across and we hooked the trailer hitch on my 700cc King Quad to the hitch on the disabled unit and with great effort and some luck (the tow strap didn't break) I was able to pull the machine out of there. The result of being submerged for so long was a drive belt that slipped so badly that the vehicle wouldn't climb a hill. This made for a long trip as I towed up some really steep and rough terrain. Neither of us would ever have went back there alone for exactly this reason. There are no trees or boulders to hook a winch line to so if you are alone and make the wrong choice you are stuck. After this incident we waded to check depth before crossing any more bogs.

All in all it was an adventure but not my normal cup of tea. I use the 4 wheeler as a log skidder and driveway plow not too often as a safari vehicle but it does a fine job of getting you back to places that you were never meant to see otherwise.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-31-2010, 02:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip To The Little Nelchina River;

Been 'down that road' a few times over the years. And the 'wading in' to see just exactly how deep is that water was a lesson only learned once.

Bye the bye Ard, send some of that rain down to southern Oregon. We've been averaging 95 to 105 degrees for close to a month. Only good thing is as the temperature goes up (what little we have anyway) the humidity goes to close to zero.