The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By fredaevans
  • 2 Post By Liphookedau
  • 2 Post By stanbiker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 AM

jborn is on a distinguished road
Default Motor Home Fishing in Alaska

We are interested in flying into Anchorage and then using a rented motor home to fish in Alaska. This seems like an ideal low cost way of fishing and seeing Alaska. My concern is knowing when to travel and where to fish. Any information would be greatly appreciated. My hope is to bring two grandsons with me so keeping the cost down is real important. The boys are home schooled so they are "free" to go nearly any time.

Thanks in advance.

jlb
Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Motor Home Fishing in Alaska

Hi,

I will send you a pm and we can talk. I should be able to tell you what you'll need to know.

Ard
Old 10-27-2013, 01:57 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Ard will get you sorted; just remember that you need to keep the petrol tank full and 'ditto' the Propane for heat/cooking.

fae
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:42 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Ard really knows Alaska you will get all The Best Info.
It would be great as a Fishing Mate did it with his Wife their Son & his Wife as he said it was Fabulous.
Years ago I thought of doing it Fishing The Road System then Driving down to THE NW however when I found it was 1400 miles to Dawson City on The Border that really put The Brakes on things so I just Jumped on A Plane.
I'm still thinking of doing it & taking 2 Fishing Mates although They don't know my intensions I'll pay for The RV They can do most of The Long Driving & I can sit back watch The Scenery take Pictures & drink Beer.
A Really Good Idea ?? they won't mind.
Brian.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

That's a great plan!

Let me know if you have any questions after you talk to Ard, and I will try to help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
That's a great plan!

Let me know if you have any questions after you talk to Ard, and I will try to help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Stan knows his way around here too so the information base is growing. I received your PM and will be in touch tomorrow.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-10-2013, 03:30 PM

monello will become famous soon enough

This is a very economical way to see and fish Alaska. You don't have to go into a campground every night. I did this and used pullouts about half the time. Spent a night in the Russian river campground parking lot. You are right at the action.

Make sure you do a halibut trip at least once. The prices are all over the place, depending on what you are looking for and are willing to spend.