The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By akruss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Park's Highway Streams & Rivers;

Just a heads up for any Alaska residents wondering what the recent rains did up the Parks. I have waited 2 days since it stopped hoping things would be dropping. I went as far as Little Willow today and tried fishing for 2 hours. The flow is about 2 - 2.5' higher than normal at this time of year. It is un-wade-able.

Everything will probably be the same for a few more days. There is a lot of tannin from bogs which have flooded in the creek so the water is very stained. Willow and Little Su were in the same condition so I went no further up the road.

It's been a tough fall finding fish for me. They have not dropped from up high in the watersheds in great numbers and if there are fish coming down the high water complicates things a great deal. Generally I would hike up little Willow to about a mile above the rail road bridge but crossing the stream was not going to happen today. Maybe by the weekend................

Just thought I'd share that because I know we have a few fellows local here
mcnerney and caseywise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Park's Highway Streams & Rivers;

yeah, i've heard of all the rain the south central part of the
state has been getting
all the rivers and creeks on the peninsula are near or above
flood levels. bear creek in homer recently caused a mudslide
across the road out of town.
Mud closes East End Road between Slavin Drive and Bear Creek Drive | Homer News
easy now mother nature....

casey

ARFE
Old 10-31-2013, 08:26 AM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the update Ard. The Russian was good last weekend, do I was thinking of the Parks this weekend. Guess I need to watch the river flow first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

It's raining here outside Wasilla right now Stan, 11:38 AM Thursday. I'm either sitting this out or will take the boat. The creeks are too dangerous to wade and there's no way to fish without crossing many times. There's enough water in them for me to drive up from the Susitna.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

I am thinking about floating the Upper Kenai next week from the lake outlet down to Jim's. Do you have a raft?

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Casey,

Wow, I am so glad that I didn't head to Anchor Point on Sunday evening. That's my usual, I go and stay at the Inn and fish Mondays and Tuesdays. I've been planning on going the second week of November but will be arriving on a Monday night and fishing Tuesday & Wednesday. The theory is to let the river and its fish calm down post weekend......................... It rained so hard here over night Sunday into Monday that the noise of the rain on the roof woke me several times. Unofficial reports have it that we had 10" of rain all the way up the Valley from Saturday through Monday morning

Good time to have a boat but I'm always leery of going waay up a river this time of year. If you have a problem there probably won't be anyone else coming up or down until the snow machines can run on the ice. Still it's tempting because I believe I could drive to the North Fork right now...........
mcnerney likes this.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:08 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

Stream conditions after rain was why I took up lake fishing. It's not as exciting but has easy access and at least it's fishing, LOL.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Thanks for reminding me of this thread.....................

For all Alaskan members, it's pretty much over fellas. The pictures below were taken on November 8 and by now it's done with.

This was the Susitna on that afternoon at 17*
Click the image to open in full size.

I fished but didn't catch a thing, I did see many fingerlings beneath the ice near shore so the future is still fishy.

The tributary streams and rivers were worse than the big river.

A good day to see Denali & Foraker from the river but very cold.

All flowing waters on the Kenai Peninsula are closed as of October 31 at midnight except the Kenai & Kasilof Rivers. However they are still cloudy from the record rains and the annual turn over of the lakes. I'm hopping they will clear by December in case we get some mild days. I fished Kasilof on November 6 and unless you were at a silt line of a Clearwater creek, visibility in the river was about 18". That's not very encouraging when you are standing in cold water with the air temps at 27*.

A look at the Kasilof on 11/6/2013

Get the ice augers tuned up folks
mcnerney and caseywise like this.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:46 PM

akruss will become famous soon enough

The local bass and salt water fishing should really be picking up around here - oh, yeah, I moved to Florida ...

You heard of the Alaskan's plan for retirement. He was just going to drive south with a snow plow on his pickup until someone said, "What's that?"
Hardyreels likes this.