The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Alaska General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/alaska-general-discussion/)
-   -   The Party Is Over............... (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/alaska-general-discussion/338139-party-over.html)

Hardyreels 11-24-2013 04:37 PM

The Party Is Over...............

As you guys well know we are still losing about 4 minutes 22 seconds of daylight with each new and later dawn. For me the change is a slow crawl and I wish it were January 21 when the first minor equinox of the new year jump starts us on the slow trek out of the dark.

Today I went out and cleared the ice from the covers on the snowmachines and fired them up. Now it's time to back the boat into the parking area that the sleds have occupied since April and get on with the end of 2013 and the coming year.

How bout that ice storm? Did you get it where you are at, Stan, I know you did but some others may have dodged it. I think I'll take the big machine to the store tomorrow to get the Turkey day supplies :D

The little one in the rear is a Tundra LT, that's my ride.
http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps39b1a294.jpg

This thing is Nancy's but I use it too, it fired like it had just been parked yesterday. It has the 600 fuel injected engine. The Tundra has a carb and choke and it took some cranking but fired on the third try.
http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...pscf4985bb.jpg

It's a Skandic Superwide with a 30" wide long track, unbelievable machine when you need one.

The rivers will be ready for the first trip to the cabin by mid December I think.

Ard

caseywise 11-24-2013 04:48 PM

Re: The Party Is Over...............

nice sleds ard!
the tundra is a classic, great machine:)
we always had a yamaha bravo (yamahas version of skidoos tundra)
never seen one of those wide track skandic's, looks like a beast!

casey

williamhj 11-24-2013 04:54 PM

Nice ride!

I know what you mean by losing daylight, having an hour stolen by daylight 'savings' time didn't help. Head to work in the dark and home in the dark is not fun. Time to tie some flies and order a fiberglass blank :)

Hardyreels 11-24-2013 05:05 PM

I have admired the Tundra for years Casey. I wanted an old one but they are hard to find in good shape and when you do it'll cost a lot. I found the one here as a leftover 2012 last October and got it. They are the powder crawling machine for sure. The wide track will walk on anything, pretty amazing.

Yamaha is still selling a Bravo but they are about 5K and I got the new LT for 7, so I took the suspension over the old style Yamaha. They are the same as always, the Bravo, not much in the way of bump control. Honestly for a 77 mile one way ride I needed something bigger than a 250 cc machine, the Tundra has a 550 fan motor with reverse.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 613854)
Nice ride!

I know what you mean by losing daylight, having an hour stolen by daylight 'savings' time didn't help. Head to work in the dark and home in the dark is not fun. Time to tie some flies and order a fiberglass blank :)

Hey Willian,

You posted while I was writing to Casey ;)

I just ordered tying supplies for Tubes on Friday and they will be here by Tuesday maybe. They are coming out of the Caddis Fly Shop in Oregon I believe............ Anyway, yes, tying and I'm going to give my Hardy Salmon Rod a face lift, the 1981 rod. I may put larger guides on it and re-varnish the whole thing after. Also looking to do the same to my old H&I 7'6" five weight bamboo. It needs some love but I've always been reluctant because it's a one tip rod. I figure that since I never broke it in 20 years I will fix it up and be even more careful ;)

mcnerney 11-24-2013 06:11 PM

Ard: So that is what your Skandic Superwide looks like, pretty sweet looking sled. I remember you talking about it last year and how it saved the day when trying to operate in the deep snow.

We did a shopping trip up to Jackson today and the Green and Hoback rivers are both about half frozen over, local fishing on the freestones is all but over for this year, but we have a couple different tailwaters to wet a line on the warmer days.

Larry

Hardyreels 11-24-2013 06:15 PM

Sounds like you should have a Tundra in the barn for emergency use Larry. I don't go riding for the sake of riding but must admit that if we are hit with 2 feet of snow in one dump these things are handy then.