The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 06:03 PM

bellsporter is on a distinguished road
Default Alaska trip advice

I have a week booked at a Camp on the Kanektok River in mid/late July. I'm curious about fly fishing opportunities in or near Anchorage or Bethel. I'll have for extra days in Alaska and would like to do some more fishing. Any ideas? What do you know about the Kanektok? Thanks!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:28 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Alaska trip advice

The Fishing Trips | Fishing with Ard Stetts

Give Ard Stetts a call. He's a mod on this forum and away at his cabin prepping for next season right now. He'll get back to you soon if you Private Message, or email him though. Or call him and leave a message and he will get back to you when he is in CELL range. He is "Hardyreels" on this forum. Book a day and he will get you away from the combat fishing conditions most of easily accessible Alaska apparently suffers from now. You won't find a more helpful guy. I am spending 5 days with him in early July. He has been living there about 10 years now and knows the salmon and trout fishing in his area. Go to the link I posted and read up. Ard spent nearly two hours on the phone with me before I sent him a nickel.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

X2 for Hardyreels!!
mcnerney, fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

X3, book a day with Ard. His contact info is on his homepage which ia_trouter referenced.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

If you can hook up with Ard you won't regret it, he is an awesome person and really knows the waters in the south central part of Alaska. He is currently out at his cabin, so if you happen to give him a call leave him a message and also let me know you are interested as I will talk to him this coming weekend and let him know.

Larry
jaybo41 and ia_trouter like this.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like someone whose brain I'd like to pick.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM

kodiak338 is on a distinguished road

You would be very hard pressed to find a better river than the Kanektok. We floated it in '04. Absolutely monster Graying on the upper river and rainbows and char in the middle with dog salmon and kings in lower part. Even picked up a pink and that was the first week of July. If it was me I would spend my extra time there. Only draw back is the bugs. Have an extra day and never been to AK, take the train to Denali for sightseeing. Fishing around Anchorage is worthless and the Kenai is combat fishing. GL

Last edited by kodiak338; 02-26-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the advice Kodiak. How long of a trip is it to Denali and Back?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

If you left Anchorage at 6:00 Am and drove straight through then turned around and came back, you could do it in a day. The State Troopers patrol the Parks Highway so trying to beat the speed limits isn't a good idea.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-27-2014, 09:44 PM

So just a leisurely drive? I think fishing sounds like more fun. Looking forward to talking to you Ard....Let me know when it's a good time.