The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smoothie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2014, 06:56 AM

Devenish is on a distinguished road
Default Kanektok Float Trip

Anyone fancy sharing the cost of a float trip on the Kanektok river, either 2015 or 2016? I need to spend 12 to 14 days on the river to make it worth the air fare. The ideal number is three because three people and their gear fit into a six-person tent, three people and their gear fit into a raft(one on the oars and two fishing) and a raft and three people fit into a Beaver float plane.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:22 PM

smoothie will become famous soon enoughsmoothie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kanektok Float Trip

I'd guess between $4000 and $5,000 / person. What's your plan? Would you just go w/ you and two buddies and do the whole trip by yourselves, or would you use an outfitter?

If you can make it work, I'd definitely do it. I floated the entire river back in 2010, and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever done in my life.

I went in a big group...about 13 of us. We chartered a plane to drop us off at the headwaters of the river. I think it's called Pagatti lake. Floated down to the airport at the village in Quinahauk. We did the float in nine days.

Kanektok River King Salmon:
Click the image to open in full size.

Sockeye

Rainbow
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by smoothie; 11-07-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great trip, wish I could afford it! I hope you post a trip report with lots of photos when you get back.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:24 PM

Devenish is on a distinguished road

We may have crossed paths in 2010. Were you with Mickey Finn? He led a lot of float trips from Utah on the Kanektok. He used to call us "the Irish guys" because "yes", I'm in Ireland. I've run out of fellow Irish guys wanting to make the trip so in 2012 I did it with two guys from New York. I go unguided so I reckon $3,000 from Anchorage, and I need two fit and healthy, happy campers who are prepared to muck in with the chores as well as the cost.