The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ptarmigan
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By ptarmigan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2016, 11:44 AM

mnguyendc will become famous soon enough
Smile Need some insight on fishing near Homer

Hey everybody!

This is my first time posting...but a quick tidbit about myself.

Mike, Male, Oregon born/raised, metolius/deschutes is my beater. Started fly fishing 2 years ago and I'm ridiculously addicted, to the point of changing my career.

My girlfriends dad lives in homer, and I visit there 1-2x a year for the last 3 years. I am going through some crazy life events and if this all mellows out and if physically strong enough, I plan on staying with them to help out her dad for a month or so in June 2016, and find some solitude and fish.

I'm looking for creeks/rivers that are small, wadeable, and away from crowds to fish for anything. Doesn't have to be monsters. I love to catch and release hard fighting trouts the range of 10-14 inches (what I'm use to in Oregon). I'm looking for places where I can easily access or spend a day hiking out and finding solitude. Also trying to keep budget low...but mainly I like getting out, hiking, enjoying the scenery and hooking into lots of fish regardless of size I heard dry fly may not even be an option in Alaska rivers....mainly eggs, mouse, leech patterns?

Last year I was able to fly fish for steelhead and dollies on the anchor River with the help of a guide. And took my girlfriend and got her little 9 yo sisters that live in homer to hook into some fun dollies But this year I won't have much disposable funds due to medical bills for a guide or flying into different areas

I would greatly appreciate your input!!!

Best,

Mike

Last edited by mnguyendc; 01-27-2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 01-27-2016, 12:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some insight on fishing near Homer

Mike: Welcome to the forum!
I can't really help with Homer, I only went down there once and that was a chartered halibut trip, but I have heard that guys fish for salmon right off the beach when they are running. Hopefully, one of the Alaska members will chime in and provide some information.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:07 PM

spm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud ofspm has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum, Mike. I'm sure there will be someone along that can give you answers to your questions.

steve
Old 01-27-2016, 11:46 PM

ptarmigan is a jewel in the roughptarmigan is a jewel in the roughptarmigan is a jewel in the rough

Hey Mike,

That time of year is a bit tough. Most of the rivers/creeks in that area will be weekend and Wed. fisheries (if they open them at all) because it will be King Salmon season. You may find some small creeks to look for dollies, but the other well know streams have major restrictions and lots of competition during their respective openings. Basically, if it's legal to fish, June will bring the hordes. On dead low tides I've had a blast fishing for dollies at the end of the spit. Some nice fat and chrome bright ones hang out there chasing bait. Regardless, spending a month in Homer is hard to beat.

Matt
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

Matt pretty well summed up the situation in June down that way. When you arrive you'll get a copy of the fishing regulations with your license and that will clear up what is open and what is not. If it were open the North Fork of Anchor River fits your description of the type water you are looking for. There are other small creeks but those will require some mileage to reach them. Matt mentioned fishing the salt and I've done it myself, you can actually find some good fishing there.

A good strategy would be to remain active on the forum and hope one of the AK. members will be down that way while you're here. We have a few members from AK.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-28-2016, 02:15 PM

mnguyendc will become famous soon enough

Appreciate the help. I'll have to see when north fork of the anchor river is open and perhaps find a travel time around then
Old 01-28-2016, 02:32 PM

ptarmigan is a jewel in the roughptarmigan is a jewel in the roughptarmigan is a jewel in the rough

Upstream of the confluence of the North and South forks is only open from Aug.1 - Oct.31. Good dolly fishing with a few resident rainbows, and steelhead are available. No retention of salmon above the forks. Deep Creek and Ninilchik have similar rules.
mcnerney likes this.