The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 11:10 PM

ptarmigan is just really niceptarmigan is just really niceptarmigan is just really niceptarmigan is just really nice
Default Best Time/Where to Vist Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushak View Post
I live in Bethel but I'm in Anchorage quite bit. Is the Quartz or Ptarmigan creek worth fishing In May or June? I primarily fish Tenkara the size of the fish doesn't matter much.

Both Quartz and Ptarmigan creeks are closed from 5/1-6/11. After they open you certainly could catch some resident fish but I doubt they would be in there in very big numbers. The majority of trout enter those streams following the sockeye, though I would expect some spawn there. The Russian river would probably have more trout and they take nymphs and drys pretty enthusiastically. If it was me I'd head north and walk Willow, Sheep, or Montana creeks. Some great trout fishing to be had at that time of year. Swinging leech patterns into cover like logjams, overhanging brush, cutbanks, etc., is the ticket in June.
bushak likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:30 PM

bushak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Time/Where to Vist Alaska?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
Both Quartz and Ptarmigan creeks are closed from 5/1-6/11. After they open you certainly could catch some resident fish but I doubt they would be in there in very big numbers. The majority of trout enter those streams following the sockeye, though I would expect some spawn there. The Russian river would probably have more trout and they take nymphs and drys pretty enthusiastically. If it was me I'd head north and walk Willow, Sheep, or Montana creeks. Some great trout fishing to be had at that time of year. Swinging leech patterns into cover like logjams, overhanging brush, cutbanks, etc., is the ticket in June.
Thanks for the feedback! I did a little more research and saw that those particular streams were closed. I fished Willow last fall at the end of October and had a lot of fun.