The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts
Default Re: What is Happening to the Kings on the Kenai River River

I am in agreement Larry, although I'm not a person to bet on things I would risk that a great many who do it (dip net) do not know the difference between a Sockeye, a king or a silver. Lots of kings get killed and as I said, may be willing to bet on that one.
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-19-2017, 06:19 PM

ejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to behold

Just watched the second episode of "Monster Fish" on Netflix. The host was in search of one of your giant kings. He covered several rivers systems including the Kenai. I thought dip netting was something completely different until seeing that episode and that's just crazy. The guy he ends up with is hoping to limit out at 55 fish in one day. Is that the yearly limit?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute

Although I don't know if it will ever change it currently stands at 25 for head of household and ten for each additional family member. As I said earlier (I think) I use a more remote river and take 30 males per season. Thirty good sockeye are a lot of fish. During the course of the months following the catch we do use them all but it requires a conscious effort to eat fish. There are just 2 of us in this home.
mcnerney, ejsell and ia_trouter like this.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:06 AM

ejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to beholdejsell is a splendid one to behold

I like fish, can't say I like fish that much though😆

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsell View Post
Just watched the second episode of "Monster Fish" on Netflix. The host was in search of one of your giant kings. He covered several rivers systems including the Kenai. I thought dip netting was something completely different until seeing that episode and that's just crazy. The guy he ends up with is hoping to limit out at 55 fish in one day. Is that the yearly limit?
Here comes a rant............

This statement will likely be controversial to some, but if it is indeed legal to harvest 50+ fish in one day for a family of 4, I find that very disturbing. Hit the peak run and take all you can with little effort. It's an Alaskan bounty, and a prize for living there. I do get that part. I also have absolutely no problem with native Alaskan's who have survived there for 1000s of years taking a larger share than someone as fortunate as I am allowed. But at the end of the day what is the point of limiting spin and fly anglers if you are going to slaughter them with dip nets? As Ard said, during the frenzy you know damn well a lot of late run Kings are also hitting the freezer by accident, or not quite by accident.

Folks pay $500+ for a license and travel to Iowa for a huge whitetail. I am a native Iowa and I deserve my share first right?. They should allow me to use claymore mines and get a dozen or so on opening day. We could eradicate them in two seasons and fill five freezers with meat that will freezer burn and be wasted.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Oh I have no problem with that train of thought, regarding the sockeye run only. However I can see where any tinkering with the rod & reel limits could make the already complex regulations even more confusing.

During the peak of the dip net opening they generally raise the rod & reel limit to 6 sockeye per day. Because Kenai sockeye are larger than most others I've ever seen, six makes quite a haul. If I need fish I go down there and camp for three days, this allows you to come home with 18 big boys.

Trying to regulate this once the practice has become an annual ritual would be hopeless. I can name several rivers that (if I were King) I would protect hen fish. There would be no killing of hens period. The problem lies in that many people can't tell the difference between a male & a hen. Many people I've ran into on rivers can't identify the different species; Silver vs. Sockeye vs. small King vs. bright Steelhead. One can only guess that summer run steelhead are regularly killed innocently by those who think they are a sockeye salmon.

Pictures always help; below is a male sockeye of about 5.5 to 6 pounds. He took a freight train and ended up dead as seen on the shore here.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is a bright steelhead.

And this a very bright but small king;

I turst you can see how unless you were handling these species often it could be difficult for the weekend warrior to tell what the heck they just caught.

The hen thing just makes sense to a layman like myself. Lets say there is a river that used to experience a silver salmon return of 35 - 50,000 fish annually. Lets say that that river now receives roughly 10,000 total on average over the past 5 years. Since silvers are a 4 year fish, meaning that from the time a pair spawn and successfully leave a nest filled with fertilized eggs it will be 4 years before the surviving adults from that spawning return to the river. Once you have reached a 5 year average of 10 thousand returning fish it may be pointless to hope to see the glory days of 35 or more thousand. That would consider all things remaining as they are, commercial fishing, natural predication and nest mortality.

So, because I am interested in seeing the numbers stay at least at ten thousand or possibly increasing somewhat it would only make sense to not kill the hens. As you know, when dealing with things out of ones personal sphere of influence what you want and what you get are two entirely different matters.
mcnerney, ejsell and ia_trouter like this.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:31 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

I do enjoy these threads. The harvesting rules are so complex in AK vs the lower 48. I know AK Fish and Game must be under intense pressure to keep everyone happy. It just seems like an impossible task, finding a balance that keeps sport fishing, commercial and the natives happy without threatening the future. I'll follow along and hope the weather patterns cooperate for the rest of my fishing days. From another angle, 100 years ago we would just kill them all and wonder what happened later. I am impressed with the attempt to manage. Manned fish count weirs are evidence they care to preserve the resource. In fairness I am not aware of any other state where anything like that that happens.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Administrator

I'll have to wait until May or early June to see if they are still in the budget.
mcnerney likes this.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Administrator

For those who have seen the pictures of the activity at the tideline of the Kenai this may look a little different.

There were two people up river from us but it seems a little more difficult where we go.

Nancy with a nice male, we kill them instantly once caught and release the hens of course.

It's a different kind of environment and an angry river that has claimed more than a few lives.

End of the morning and ready to get to head for home.
mcnerney and ejsell like this.