The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is Happening to the Kings on the Kenai River River

Here is a great article on the dwindling population of big trophy Kings on the Kenai river:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/we-a...i-king-salmon/
Ard, ejsell and ia_trouter like this.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:18 AM

ejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud ofejsell has much to be proud of
Default Re: What is Happening to the Kings on the Kenai River River

That's an incredible fish and a great article. I've never landed a King but have hooked into a few and can't imagine the power that fish must have had.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

That pretty well covers the topic I think Larry. When I first fished the river in 1989 they were still present but things have changed dramatically. I've read a lot, talked with the regional fisheries biologist and know some guys who work down there fishing. Everything points not only over fishing but a selective harvest of the largest fish. It's just the way it is, the picture showing the crowding down at the mouth.......... That's a very good example of why I stay out in the boonies and don't go down there to fish myself. I believe that when I took the guides certification course down there at the Peninsula Collage there were just over 400 registered guides on the Kenai. That was 4 years ago, I never have worked there, I just wanted the credentials so I took the course.

Good post and part of my reasons for being a keep them wet C&R fisherman out here.
ejsell and ia_trouter like this.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2017, 01:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: What is Happening to the Kings on the Kenai River River

This is pretty much true for every river from Kalifornia to Alaskee. Who knows why but the North Pacific was not kind to them. I haven't even bothered to buy a fishing lic; no point to it .... at least at this point.

faze
Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM

rfb700 is a glorious beacon of lightrfb700 is a glorious beacon of lightrfb700 is a glorious beacon of lightrfb700 is a glorious beacon of lightrfb700 is a glorious beacon of light

Mankind doing what it does best, wiping out a resource

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
mcnerney, weiliwen and ejsell like this.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:16 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb700 View Post
Mankind doing what it does best, wiping out a resource

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I agree with you. The legal dip netting is particularly disturbing to me. I see no redeeming skill set being developed, or even a hobby in that method. Reminds me some of darkhouse spearing. Let's eradicate the best of the gene pool the only time it is easy.
mcnerney and ejsell like this.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Unfortunately I agree with you. The legal dip netting is particularly disturbing to me. I see no redeeming skill set being developed, or even a hobby in that method. Reminds me some of darkhouse spearing. Let's eradicate the best of the gene pool the only time it is easy.
Dewayne: I agree, when I lived in Alaska I felt that there was no real reason to allow dip netting, especially on the Kenai. I think if they are going to continue that practice they need to make it a lottery system so they can control the numbers instead of letting anybody and everybody slaughter the resource.
ejsell likes this.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

The dip net personal use fishery attracts what I could only call the good, the bad and the ugly. I've never participated in the Kenai thing but have seen things that boggle the mind on the one and only time I drove over there to see what it was all about. I have used other personal use fisheries in the state and can also say that while there I've seen it all. Even with a most liberal household limit of 25 sockeye for single person and an additional ten fish for each additional member of the household there are arrests made every year for poaching. Inconceivable I know but I have seen people take way more than could be justified. I have never taken what would be considered our household limit. Thirty fish seems quite enough. Ever since I began using this privilege I have released all female fish, last season I released all females as well as 2 king salmon unharmed and I really mean unharmed. I had to cut and then repair my net in order to release a king without damage to the fish.

It takes all kinds, like everything else in life some will abuse any and every privilege granted to them. I can't stop any of the bad things I witness every year, I'm just a citizen and getting into a situation with a law breaker in remote locations is not a smart thing to do.

Incidentally, I entered some additional observations about king salmon on the blog here. I didn't want to hijack the thread from the original article, you may find some similarities in what I wrote.

Ard
ejsell and ia_trouter like this.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-16-2017, 05:35 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Here comes a thread derail Larry.

I have no problem with spin fisherman harvesting a legal limit. There is some amount of perseverance involved. You are still a sportsman in my mind, even if I think they over harvest when they can.

Every region of the country has some crazy easy method to target the most elite fish in the watershed. In the upper Midwest it is dark house spearing. Drag a shack on the ice to make it dark, cut a hole in ice, place a decoy and wait for a huge pike to show up. They are lethargic in the near freezing water and move slow. Then stab the largest you can with a spear (basically a large frog gig). There is no catch and release. For your minimal trouble you can eat a 20yr old 40" fish. Actually you can't anymore because there is only one lake out of the 13,000 lakes in Minnesota left with a reasonable shot at a 40" fish. There used to be 100s of lakes where you could chase a trophy not so long ago. They have slot limits now that the truly elite fish are already gone. When nobody desires to spend tourism dollars in AK anymore they will finally eliminate the easy salmon methods. Then wait a generation for some hope of recovery.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Ard

I don't have a problem with dip netting on the Copper river, that river is so silty that fishing of any kind is extremely difficult, but the Kenai is a totally different resource that needs more protection. When I lived in Alaska I was totally floored when I learned that they allowed dip netting there at the mouth of the river, and Alaska Fish and Game wonders what is happening to the fish!
Ard and ia_trouter like this.