The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Alaska General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/alaska-general-discussion/)
-   -   looking for float trip outfitter (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/alaska-general-discussion/50100-looking-float-trip-outfitter.html)

caseryan 09-17-2010 03:55 PM

looking for float trip outfitter

hey guys
looking to plan my first trip to Alaska in 2011. still researching everything and trying to find some good guides/outfitetrs. i am pretty sure i would like to do a 5-7 day float trip in the bristol bay area but will consider other areas. i would like an opportunity to catch all 5 species of salmon, big trout, grayling and some colored up char. looking for unpressured waters and small group size.

anybody have any advice on these two outfitetrs

Fishing Alaska and Kamchatka with Ouzel. Alaska and Russia Fly Fishing Trips

Home Page | Alaska Fly Fishing Trips | Bristol Bay Alaska Fly Fishing * Wild River Guide & Mark Rutherford

or have any other guides/outfitters they would recommend?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

caseryan 09-17-2010 08:58 PM

Alaska, Float trip Outfitters

hey guys
looking to plan my first trip to Alaska in 2011. still researching everything and trying to find some good guides/outfitters. i am pretty sure i would like to do a 5-7 day float trip in the bristol bay area but will consider other areas. i would like an opportunity to catch all 5 species of salmon, big trout, grayling and some colored up char. looking for unpressured waters and small group size.

anybody have any advice on these two outfitters?

Ouzel Outfitters with Paul and Sharon Allred

Wild River Guide service with Mark Rutherford

or have any other guides/outfitters they would recommend?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

peregrines 09-18-2010 12:24 AM

Re: looking for float trip outfitter

Hey caseryan- welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're planning a great trip. We have a bunch of Alaska folks on the forum (and ex-Alaska folks with a lot of experience fishing up there) that can give you some good advice.

Keep in mind that the timing of the runs for different species of salmon will vary-- and it may not be realistic to expect to have great fishing for every thing in one river system over a 5-7 day float--- so you might want to think about the fish you want to target so you can pick a river system and time your trip to zero in on them. But the Alaska guys can give you better advice about that.

A float trip sounds like great way to experience Alaska, and you're doing the right thing by checking around and doing some planning in advance.

Frank Whiton 09-18-2010 05:55 PM

Re: Alaska, Float trip Outfitters

Hi caseryan,

I don't have time to go into detail right now but here is something to think about. You will have a hard time catching all of the different fish you have mentioned, especially all five of the Salmon. Salmon run at different times depending on what type of salmon they are and the individual water. When an outfitter says they have all five Salmon available that is over the season and not all in the water at the same time. You might find two or three in some waters at the same time but not all five. At least that has been my experience.

You should check out Alaska Rainbow Adventures. I have not fished with them but they do float some good waters. They were a sponsor for a short time.

Frank

AKGuide 01-09-2011 11:47 PM

Re: Alaska, Float trip Outfitters

caseryan

Give me a shout we can discuss some options we have available for 2011 that may just fit the bill for most of what you are looking for.

Frank is right it can be hard to catch in one trip all of the different fish you have mentioned, but I have a few ideas that can come close.

Paul Hansen
Alaska Rainbow Adventures.

Frank Whiton 01-10-2011 01:13 PM

Re: looking for float trip outfitter

Hi caseryan,

I checked out both of the guides you asked about.

Wild River Guides

I tried several of the web sites listed for Wild River Guides and none of them worked. They don't seem to be on the server that the links originated on. Do you have a good link to their site?

Ouzel Expeditions

They are an active outfit with a wide range of rivers to fish. They offer two rivers close to Anchorage, Lake Creek and Talachulitna. I would not fish these rivers unless they offer a very good price. I have fished both of these rivers but not as a float.

The Tal is a favorite river for Anchorage fly fishers and you will encounter a lot of activity. There is a good population of Rainbows with good size but not great size like some rivers offer. The river does get runs of all five Salmon over the season. You need to time the float as certain years the river is low and the float starts at the flats instead of from the lake. The flats are about mid-river. So it would be a shorter float. There is a lodge at the lake outflow and a couple in the flats.

Lake Creek has a good run of Kings and Silvers. I see that there literature says there are also get Reds. Lake Chelatna is at the head waters of Lake Creek. There is a landing strip and lodge on the shores of the lake. My wife and I always flew into the Lodge on labor day for our last of season trip. That strip was the first bush strip I landed at. Good Rainbow fishing and Graying at the headwaters. Lake Creek gets a lot of action at the mouth when the Salmon are running. You can reach it by river boat from Anchorage/Wasila areas. There is one lodge on the lower river stretch. The lodge does floats on the upper river. Not near as many people float Lake Creek like they do the Tal. In the late 70's the Tal had better Rainbow fishing than Lake Creek.

Float Trip Considerations

Float trips can be a lot of fun. You see a lot of country and wildlife. Some trips are do it yourself where the outfitter provides the boats and flies you into a debark point and picks you up at a pick up point. This type of trip is not for the inexperienced.

Then there are trips that you make camp at selected locations but you move the tents and gear with the float. This is a good float but cuts into your fishing time. The best float trips is where there is a guide and two dudes to a boat. The outfitter has camps set at various location and you drift and fish to each camp. The guides cook and you help with camp chores. Some may provide a cook so when you stop the cooking is ready or getting ready. You don't have to worry about pitching tents or making camp. This is all taken care of by the outfitter.

There are many different ways you can arrange your trip and you need to know exactly what the outfitter is going to provide and especially what they don't provide. Always sign a contract and get trip insurance.

There is one aspect of a float trip that you should consider. Since you are floating the river you won't be fishing the same location all the time. You will have stretches of river that don't hold many fish and the fishing will be slow. You may be on a really hot stretch of river with everything you want to catch. The fishing is so hot you can't stand it. At dinner while you are talking about the great fishing, the guide tells you "tomorrow we will have to move down river to keep on schedule." Dang, that is not what you want to hear but that can be a part of a float trip. A lodge can fly to where the fishing is hot every day but a float is stuck on one river. There could be long stretches of river that the fishing is poor or non-existent. Just don't expect fish at every cast and you it will be fine.

Picking a River

The best way to pick a river is to target your fish. Make up your mind what fish is most important to you on your trip. If Salmon is your most important fish then pick what Salmon is most important. This will help you pick the time of year to go and what river. If Salmon is your target pick a river that dumps into Bristol Bay or other rivers on the Alaska West Coast. This way you will get bright fresh fish with big runs.

You are already behind schedule on planning your trip. To get the best trips at the best times you should have started earlier. The longer you wait the less options you will have.

Frank