The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Fall In Alaska;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Madjoni,

There could be any number of reasons for the lack of life but I'll only take a few tries at an answer. In the first creek where I camped while I was setting up my tent there were many tiny caddis and stone flies swarming around me as I worked, At first I thought they were all mosquitoes but soon saw that they were not. The fact that there were so many aquatic insects had my hopes up because bugs = food and food = fish, usually. I did not have my stream thermometer in my gear so I could not take the water temp sometimes this can be a factor, the water was cold but then this is Alaska and all the water is cold.

I am left with only guesses. Too cold, not enough food, water quality (Ph), or there could have been a few lurking in the deep channels and I simply did not catch them. I became suspect when I was unable to find young fish in the shallow waters near shore. When you get on water here that has a good fish population there are swarms of young trout and salmon in the little pools near shore. I will ask the regional biologist at Fish & Game about these creeks and then post what I am told.
Hmmmm......if water is good for aquatic insects then it is good for trout...
Old 09-19-2010, 06:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We will be long gone before there is a development on those sites Fred. But then in retrospect it's not like that would screw up the fishing
Being it's Alaska, probably very true ... but "Don't count your Chickens ......" The day is still young. Then again I remember the east side of Lake Washington. North of Kirkland, there was (almost literally) 'nothing. Interstate 405 went from 4 lanes to two .. and it was 'enough.' Now 405 is at least 6-8 lanes each direction and more where there are off-ramps.

fae
Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I will ask the regional biologist at Fish & Game about these creeks and then post what I am told.
So did you ever get an answer?
I'm curious because I have wondered about those waters as I have driven past. I had been told they held no fish but was curious.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have not made the contact yet...........Duh. I will get around to it but I do know this; lower Six Mile at the confluence with Canyon Creek has resident trout and char. This portion of the creek / creeks also gets some sockeye, few kings, and silvers. I have seen silvers as far up East Six Mile as the confluence with Granite Creek but never any in Granite Creek. This year I was able to find no evidence of salmon in upper Six Mile. No carcases no ripe fish hanging around beds, nothing. As for Char or trout, I saw no evidence of their presence in these upper reaches of the creeks in question.

When I get around to speaking with F&G about the area I will post what I am told. You should send me a PM sometime and tell me where you live. Maybe we could meet up one day?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2010, 04:44 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Ard, sent you a PM (I think...).