The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing Alaska > Alaska General Discussion

Alaska General Discussion Discuss fishing Alaska and other Alaska questions not associated with equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Now Comes The Darkness;

Living here is much different than visiting but you already knew that. Right now our daylight hours are shrinking by 5 minutes and 37 seconds every day. Darkness comes earlier and dawn comes late. By December 21st we will have reached the bottom of the mine shaft and on February 20th there will be a noticeable gain every day. It is that time between 12/21 and 2/20 that make the winter here a little different than elsewhere. There will be a few chances to round up some trout and steelhead prior to the big freeze and mild winter days (few and far between) will take me to the Kenai for a few hours of trout fishing.

By March we will be gaining 4 minutes / day and by May 5th darkness will be a thing of the past. May will bring the first few Kings into the rivers and by June things will be in full swing. I guess that's what keeps me going. I am moving wood today and stacking it close at hand, getting ready for the darkness and the cold.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now Comes The Darkness;

Good job on the wood ArdI'll send you some sun via Skype when needed
Old 10-19-2010, 01:09 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Youve got it down to a science dont ya? Hope you get a few days of fishing in. Do you depend primarily on wood for tour heat? If so when do you start the mad dash to gather wood?

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

Yes, Ard, how about the details of your heating situation? How much wood do you go through in an average winter and is it your primary heat source? Had a friend who lived in northern Montana who said he burned 40 CORDS of larch over one particularly rough winter. He was a bit prone to exaggeration, though.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:17 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Ard,i use wood too...8 to 10 cubic metres of same stuff every winter
And dont worry....we will make busy....with us that dark days will pass quickly
Old 10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow, I didn't think this would gather interest so quickly.

At home we have a gas furnace and natural gas is not cost prohibitive but I am frugal to say the least. When the temperatures stay above 40* F the gas furnace provides the heat and hot water & cooking for around $50 / month. Once under 40 F I burn wood and this keeps any large gas bill from ever finding its way here. The land at home is a little more than three acres of trees. Annual wind storms put enough down most years but I occasionally drop some live trees to provide more sun to our yard and house. Every time I see a good tree that will make wood for winter I skid it up to the trail where the big long pile is shown and then in September / October I split them up. I know I should be doing this in July but I fish every day I can.

I would say I use about 2.5 - 3 cord every winter. The house is tight and the stove is a good one. At the cabin it's another story. It is a log structure and although insulated I burn two cord of wood in 8 - 9 weeks if the weather out there turns cold. By cold I mean weeks of -40 F or around the -20 range every night. This keeps me loading the stove but the stove out there is not as efficient as the one at home.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

When I lived in Fairbanks I use wood and coal to supplement the oil fired furnace. Fairbanks gets a bit colder than the Anchorage Area. My Riteway Wood stove would hold 32" logs or split fire wood. I would load it in the evening and it would last all night and most of the day. I used about three cords a year. I later got tired of splitting fire wood and use coal for several years. The Riteway was the best wood,coal burning stove I ever saw.

In Washington I had a pellet wood stove and that was the least work and easiest way to heat. It worked with a blower and our cats loved to sit in front of it and keep warm. The pellet stove was the cheapest way to heat that I found. Being in Washington the pellets were available close by.

Frank

Riteway Wood/Coal Stove
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I could not live under those dark days. I understand Alaska has a high suicide rate during the darkness.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:55 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
I could not live under those dark days.
I could,,with no difficulty
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

2.5-3 cord? Thats pretty good considering the low temperatures. I typically burn about that much too. However, My house is, I'm sure, not quite as tight as yours considering we are still under construction. What kind of wood do you burn mostly? Down here I burn mostly oak and hickory, maybe some locust. Preferably white oak if I can get it.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...