The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Atlantic

Atlantic Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 07:29 PM

pierce652 is on a distinguished road
Default Heading to Cape Breton this July

Were heading up to CB this summer for our annual trip. However, this is the first time I will be bringing fly fishing gear with me, so the trip may actually be productive. Wondering if anyone knows of good spots in the Inverness and North Sydney areas? Also, are guides required? I think I read something about this but cant find the site again. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Location: Pointe Aux Anglais, Québec North Shore Region (CANADA)
JOCELIN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JOCELIN
Default Re: Heading to Cape Breton this July

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce652 View Post
Were heading up to CB this summer for our annual trip. However, this is the first time I will be bringing fly fishing gear with me, so the trip may actually be productive. Wondering if anyone knows of good spots in the Inverness and North Sydney areas? Also, are guides required? I think I read something about this but cant find the site again. Any help would be appreciated.
Pierce 652

Did you ever make it to Cape Breton and use your fly rod, hope you went to the middle river or the famous margeree river. Let us know how you did

Jocelin
Old 03-09-2008, 11:49 AM

LLL is on a distinguished road

Hello

Apparently you do not need a guide if you are a non-resident of Nova Scotia, http://www.gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishi.../07AGpart4.pdf

This is a nice contrast to Newfoundland where a non-resident is required to have a guide or close family member!

Hope this is of some help.

LLL
Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Hello

Apparently you do not need a guide if you are a non-resident of Nova Scotia, http://www.gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishi.../07AGpart4.pdf

This is a nice contrast to Newfoundland where a non-resident is required to have a guide or close family member!

Hope this is of some help.

LLL
LLL

Yes you are correct, no guides needed in Nova Scotia, I fished The Margeree and middle in the early tio mid 90 when i lived in New Brunswick, the Cape Breton trip was a fall trip.

Unlike Newfoundland and New Brunswick mo guides needed, Quebec is another province where you can fish without a guide.

Jocelin
Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 PM

Wow..this is a blast from the past. Yes I did get to CB that summer and got to fish Middle River. Unfortunatey it poured rain for 5 days just before we got there so I had no luck on the Middle. However, it is the most beautiful river I have ever fished. I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to wet my line.

I didnt hit the Margaree because the salmon were running and its insanely pressured at that time.

A friend of ours also comes from Inverness and her father works for Glenora Distillery. He took me fishing on the stream that flows through the property and is used in the making of the whiskey. I caught an incredible amount of wild brookies there and had an absolute blast. They hit like a pitbull in a poodles body.

Were going again this summer for another two weeks and again the Mrs. says I can fish everyday as long as I go to the beach at least once. Not a bad deal if you ask me. I will once again hit the Middle River, hopefully the Margaree and am bringing the salt line and making sure I use it this year.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce652 View Post
Wow..this is a blast from the past. Yes I did get to CB that summer and got to fish Middle River. Unfortunatey it poured rain for 5 days just before we got there so I had no luck on the Middle. However, it is the most beautiful river I have ever fished. I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to wet my line.

I didnt hit the Margaree because the salmon were running and its insanely pressured at that time.

A friend of ours also comes from Inverness and her father works for Glenora Distillery. He took me fishing on the stream that flows through the property and is used in the making of the whiskey. I caught an incredible amount of wild brookies there and had an absolute blast. They hit like a pitbull in a poodles body.

Were going again this summer for another two weeks and again the Mrs. says I can fish everyday as long as I go to the beach at least once. Not a bad deal if you ask me. I will once again hit the Middle River, hopefully the Margaree and am bringing the salt line and making sure I use it this year.
That is a great update on your trip

These small streams do hold good amount of brookies.

A great deal indeed

Jocelin
Old 03-11-2008, 09:21 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

if you are here this summer,you can give me a shout,I will gladly take youi for a few back woods lake trips.I have boats in 6 or 7 way out of the way lakes full of large(14-20") brookies.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum View Post
if you are here this summer,you can give me a shout,I will gladly take youi for a few back woods lake trips.I have boats in 6 or 7 way out of the way lakes full of large(14-20") brookies.
I will definatley hold you to it. I know we talked before the trip last year and I caught hell from my wife for not looking you up as we hit the causway.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:52 AM

We head up this comming friday. Im trying to decide on gear. Im thinking a 3 wt, 5 wt, a 9 wt (in case of salt) and a spinning rod for good measure.