The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Atlantic

Atlantic Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 12:35 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default A few spring days on the Miramichi

Went up to Boiestown, NB to do an auction for the Miramichi Salmon Assoc. and get in a few days of fishing. Season opened with very low water and warm temps on April 15. Pundits predicted an early end to the spring season. Then heavy rains brought the river WAY up, and more predictions of dire consequence. Unfounded, thankfully.

Fished for about 12 hours in total over April 29 and 30, May 1 & 2 with my friend and great guide, Vin Swayze (who has more than 60 years guiding experience on the river). Very windy conditions the first three days made casting tough (neither of us likes to troll) but we got it done. I hooked 22 fish, landing 9. 7 of the fish took my Deep Green Beauty streamer. We got into a once in a lifetime situation the last afternoon when a caddis hatch came off and suddenly salmon were rising all around us. Got two with a little bomber dry.

The fish were incredibly athletic; I lost a big salmon when he tossed the fly at the apex of a three foot leap.

It was great to see that many salmon in the system!
Click the image to open in full size.
Gary
bradyb, wannafish and baseman1 like this.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:29 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: A few spring days on the Miramichi

Gary, that seems like one heck of a trip! Salmon rising to a caddis hatch sounds amazing, and I love the fact that those beautiful streamers you tie, which for all intents and purposes look like show pieces, are also quite good at enticing fish! And there's just something about losing a fish on a jump that makes up for the fact that you didn't land it, whether its a tiny stocker rainbow or a giant tarpon, watching them launch themselves from the water is just awesome! We won't talk about how foolish I feel afterward that I didn't "bow" to the fish to keep it on... usually the huge grin that follows a fish that you're hooked up with flying out of the water is enough

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Garyglad to see you back...looks like a good time on the water despite the wind and I know it doesn't make fishing easy
Old 05-06-2012, 10:53 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Great trip and pic Gary! Atlantics on dries, very cool. Took me awhile to find this though. More pics, please!!! milt.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Gary,

That is a good day for salmon, and seeing fish on the surface had to be a thrill.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

thanks, guys. Seeing that many salmon rising all around us was probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience (darn it). Makes me want to run out and buy a GoPro camera! If anyone had suggested to me that I'd be dry fly fishing for atlantic salmon in May I would have laughed out loud.

One of the first things I learned in wildlife management 101 was: there is no such thing as "always" or "never" when mother nature is involved! Never more true!

Gary
Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I get over excited when I see small browns taking on top I couldn't even imagine salmon! Wicked cool!!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Those were some darn big noses sticking up outa the river, I'll tell ya that!
Gary
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'd have to fish blindfolded, if I could have seen something like that I would have fallen to peices! Forget casting and mending I'd be a quivering mess!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM

I was pretty excited, I'll tell ya that. At one point we had a double going, one on a dry, the other on a streamer. Quite the unusual afternoon!
Gary