The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Atlantic (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/atlantic/)
-   -   miramichi River Report (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/atlantic/3661-miramichi-river-report.html)

Rodney Colford 03-24-2008 11:57 PM

miramichi River Report

March 25, 2008

Hi everybody My name is Rodney and I am a salmon guide on the Miramichi River in NB, Canada. I sent you along my River Report, I hope someone may find it use full. This is a very good forum you guys have and I look forward to reading the post.

River Report for G.R.Colford & Sons Limited on the Main South West Miramichi River. Most of us are getting very anxious to see the ice start breaking up. But for the moment on the Miramichi we are hit with yet another late winter storm. With already about 5 feet in most places here on the Miramichi, we are awaiting for the first signs of spring with some warm weather or rain to start and get our rivers rising and get the ice moving.

Some of the shores are letting go in some places from the warm sun in the late afternoons. But with the temperatures we are having like today (21st) with the wind chill is down to -11 in the Blackville area and blowing snow. Winds are 19km/h and gust at 31 km/h makes a cold day. Looks like a very late ice out for the spring of 2008 fishing season. They are calling for cold weather for the next week or so.The long range forecast looks to be a warm start to April. My prediction is sometime the week of the 20th for ice out.

Maybe we will get lucky and get the Cains River out for the first week or so? There was a ton of fish that went up the Cains last fall. The lower sections of the Cains are almost as good as the Miramichi in the first week.

Looks like a spring we may need a shovel in the boat for the snow storms!! Or tell lots of stories over a game of crib while getting warm on coffee breaks at the camp.

Until next time, Tight Lines and lets hope for some warmer weather on the Miramichi in the next few days.

Salmon Guide Rodney Colford of GuideNB - Home in New Brunswick Canada.

GRN 03-25-2008 12:46 AM

Re: miramichi River Report

I know a couple of guys from around here heading up in mid April... they're starting to worry that they maybe spending the week in the bar! This winter just keeps holding on... think warm thoughts! :icon_cool

TL's~

aroostookbasser 03-25-2008 06:39 AM

Have they finished the hatchery over on the Meduxnekeag? Part of the Privincial salmon restoration projects. Love the Miramachi...I live across the line In Houlton, Maine. Glad to hear the ice is breaking up...but we are frozen solid here.

Davo 03-25-2008 07:07 AM

Wow! Here I was feeling bad I have to wait for April first till they plow out the boat ramps and officially start the season. At least we don't have Ice. We've had rain the last couple of days so town is almost out of snow. High country is still getting hammered though. Hoping we get the month of April for spring fishing before the runoff starts. Then it is back to the waiting game till the rivers clear. I'll send you warm thoughts!!

fyshstykr 03-25-2008 11:57 PM

Welcome Rodney. :)

Rodney Colford 03-26-2008 05:42 AM

Thanks guys, At the moment I have my guys changing there dates to the week of the 20th I hope the ice is gone by then too.

March 26th 2008
River Report for G.R.Colford & Sons Limited on the Main SW Miramichi River. What a winter it has been! With no sign of the river ice thawing except for a few shores? starting to rot out here in places on the Miramichi. With a little over 2 weeks before our season begins in New Brunswick. But at the moment if we do not get warmer weather we will be trying to find places to fish for that salmon along the shore lines. I've done that before! The river at the moment is about medium hieght and is ice covered.

So when the ice goes its looks like the full sinking line and big streamers will be the size to go with for your first few salmon. We should have very high water conditions with all the snow there is in the woods. Your golden eagles, mickey fins and smelts are a few flies to have ready. I use a 10 or a 12lb test leader and that gives you no problem.

Back in a couple days with the changes in the Miramichi Ice out conditions. This is Rodney Colford at GuideNB - Home .

Davo 03-26-2008 06:34 AM

Great work Rodney. Keep the updates coming. and some pics too!!

mikesalmon 03-28-2008 08:47 PM

For sure New Brunswick has had it share of Winter this year. It Might be May before you get to the River.

The Salmon season does not start until June in Nova Scotia, wish it would open sooner even as a Catch & Release Fishery.

Hope you get to the Water soon.

Tight Lines, Mike

Rodney Colford 03-30-2008 07:47 PM

March 30th 2008

River Report for G.R.Colford & Sons Limited on the Main SW Miramichi River. Very little change in the past few days with the river ice out conditions for the Miramichi. With some rain in the forecast for Tuesday and some warmer temperatures with more rain in the next couple of weeks we should be getting some changes in the ice out conditions on the Miramichi river. As for it being out by the 15th of April? Its just to soon to say. I have some that have been saying the ice will be out by the 15th April and some saying the 30th! I am cheering for the 15th!!

Tight Lines,

Rodney Colford GuideNB - Home