The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in Canada > Atlantic

Atlantic Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 02:46 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Margaree

How crowded do the pools get for Atlantic Salmon? I have been reading about letting one angler work down a pool and getting in line for your turn.
I should do a Mea Culpa: On some hunting trips the "guides" have been bed and breakfast types- no real scouting etc. That is one reason I am interested in public water. Give it a go, get my bearings, then spend $ on a guide/private water.

Last edited by Red Owl; 11-04-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:47 PM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Margaree

I have not fished the Margaree, but that is a common practice on public salmon water.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:00 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Since I'm coming in from afar I would gladly drive extra miles to the least crowded, good stream.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:48 PM

viggysmalls is on a distinguished road

Red Owl - I realize your post is a few months old, but I'm guessing you haven't been fishing between now and last November since it is the dead of winter.

Regarding the Margaree, I fish it every fall and it is a fantastic river. As with most salmon fishing, patience is key, but I think it is one of the better public salmon rivers around. The river is not all that long, and you can pretty much drive the length of the fishable sections in about an hour. (Note, the upper sections are closed to all angling and act as salmon spawning sanctuary. In my opinion, this is one of the reasons it still has a relatively healthy run while other rivers have truly suffered.)

There are literally dozens of pools along the river, and if you are looking for solitude, it is easy to find one to yourself. The most popular pools may very well have a few people fishing them, and it is common practice to "rotate" the pools: next person in line starts at the top of the pool; work your way through the pool by making two casts and taking a step downstream (rinse and repeat). If you raise a fish, you are generally allowed to take a few extra casts and switch up flies.

There are some good guides in the area too. They will show you how to access all the pools (sometimes not obvious), how to fish them, what flies to use, and teach you the etiquette.

Hope you enjoy your time in beautiful Cape Breton!