The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Bahamas (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/bahamas/)
-   -   Heading to the Bahamas (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/bahamas/12500-heading-bahamas.html)

smallieman 02-01-2010 07:06 AM

Heading to the Bahamas

I am heading to the Bahamas May 14th to the 29th of this year. Any one have any Ideas or can point me in the way of getting some fish on my fly rod

sandfly 02-01-2010 07:15 AM

Re: Heading to the Bahamas

hire a guide is the best way.

MoscaPescador 02-01-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandfly (Post 80604)
hire a guide is the best way.

What he said.

Start practicing your casting now! Set up three hula hoop targets at 25, 40, and 65 feet. If the wind blow, perfect! I assume that you will be fishing for Bonefish. Casting accuracy is so much more important with these fish than any other fish species.

MP

Frank Whiton 02-01-2010 11:01 AM

Hi smallieman,

You don't say where you will be? You can hire day guides in some locations. If you check with your hotel they will probably have someone they know. Your travel agent, if you used one, will have contacts for you also. Frontier Travel can help you.

If all else fails, do a Google search for Bahamas Fly Fishing and you will get a bunch of hits.

Have fun and give us a report.

Frank

flatslandercp 02-01-2010 08:50 PM

Think pink. Bahamas bones seem to like pink, but that's based on one trip to Bimini and reading of others' experience.

You didn't indicate if you had any saltwater flats experience, but...

Practice casting, as has been said, and if the wind blows practice upwind, downwind, and crosswind.

Take polarized glasses, maybe two pair in case you break or lose one. Bonefishing is sight fishing. No polarized glasses, no see fish, no catch fish!
Flats boots are a good idea, although you can get by with Tevas if the bottom isn't soft.

Get a guide if you can afford one. If you're going all that way and don't have any saltwater experience to know where to start looking for bones, a guide will be worth the money.

So, Bimini, Andros, where?

hsmith1313 03-29-2010 04:02 PM

If you have not fished for bonefish before you definately want to get guide. On my first trip to the islands i thought I would go DIY, I mean how hard can it be to:
1. find a place that is firm enough to wade;
2. see a fish that is perfectly camouflaged;
3. make a great 40-50 ft. cast into a 10 to 15 mph wind so that you do not spook a fish that spends 24/7 trying not to be eaten by sharks, barracudas and osprey;
4. retreive the fly in a realistic manner;
5. be able to see the fish take your fly so that you know when to set the hook, because you won't feel the take;
6. land a fish that can easily get you into your backing twice.

A good guide will either have you fish from the boat or know where you can wade; he will help you see the fish; he will position you so that your chances of making a good cast are greatly improved; he will give you direction on the retreive and hook set and the landing.