The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the Caribbean > Bahamas

Bahamas Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 AM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default Heading to the Bahamas

I am heading to the Bahamas May 14th to the 29th of this year. Any one have any Ideas or can point me in the way of getting some fish on my fly rod
Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Heading to the Bahamas

hire a guide is the best way.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-01-2010, 10:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
hire a guide is the best way.
What he said.

Start practicing your casting now! Set up three hula hoop targets at 25, 40, and 65 feet. If the wind blow, perfect! I assume that you will be fishing for Bonefish. Casting accuracy is so much more important with these fish than any other fish species.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 02-01-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added the casting bit
Old 02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi smallieman,

You don't say where you will be? You can hire day guides in some locations. If you check with your hotel they will probably have someone they know. Your travel agent, if you used one, will have contacts for you also. Frontier Travel can help you.

If all else fails, do a Google search for Bahamas Fly Fishing and you will get a bunch of hits.

Have fun and give us a report.

Frank
Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about

Think pink. Bahamas bones seem to like pink, but that's based on one trip to Bimini and reading of others' experience.

You didn't indicate if you had any saltwater flats experience, but...

Practice casting, as has been said, and if the wind blows practice upwind, downwind, and crosswind.

Take polarized glasses, maybe two pair in case you break or lose one. Bonefishing is sight fishing. No polarized glasses, no see fish, no catch fish!
Flats boots are a good idea, although you can get by with Tevas if the bottom isn't soft.

Get a guide if you can afford one. If you're going all that way and don't have any saltwater experience to know where to start looking for bones, a guide will be worth the money.

So, Bimini, Andros, where?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 PM

hsmith1313 is on a distinguished road

If you have not fished for bonefish before you definately want to get guide. On my first trip to the islands i thought I would go DIY, I mean how hard can it be to:
1. find a place that is firm enough to wade;
2. see a fish that is perfectly camouflaged;
3. make a great 40-50 ft. cast into a 10 to 15 mph wind so that you do not spook a fish that spends 24/7 trying not to be eaten by sharks, barracudas and osprey;
4. retreive the fly in a realistic manner;
5. be able to see the fish take your fly so that you know when to set the hook, because you won't feel the take;
6. land a fish that can easily get you into your backing twice.

A good guide will either have you fish from the boat or know where you can wade; he will help you see the fish; he will position you so that your chances of making a good cast are greatly improved; he will give you direction on the retreive and hook set and the landing.