The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the Caribbean > Bahamas

Bahamas Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By Pocono
  • 1 Post By jpbfly
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 2 Post By theboz
  • 2 Post By mudbug
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By sweetandsalt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bonewatching on Grand Bahama

Well, you've got the bottom line on this trip from the title. Three days and zero Bonefish to the boat; not the greatest fly fishing experience of my life...........

When we got to Freeport (Lucaya), it was balmy; 85 degrees, sunny and not too windy for this time of year; we were excited about the prospects for good Bonefishing, to say the least.

3 days later when we started fishing a front had come through the night before (worst front of the season, so far), dropped the temp by 25 degrees and brought with it overcast, rain and a constant 25-30 knot wind; gusts to well above that.

We couldn't even get out of the Grand Lucayan Canal to fish the North side flats the first day, so we ended up on the South side, with lumpy seas, rain and no sun. We did see a few Bonefish go by as we bobbed around and I got two of them to take a fly, but lost both of them.

The second day was more of the same. We got out to the North side flats, but without sunshine it was mostly casting practice. I hooked one good sized fish but wasn't really paying attention, got my wrist wrapped in the line and...............ping!

The third day was supposed to be better, but it wasn't. No hook-ups and no fish to speak of.

We did catch some really pretty Jacks and a couple of Shad...............

There were no Permit around; at least none that we saw, and unless you wanted to canal fish from your hotel dock, there weren't any Tarpon either. So, it was a Bonefish opportunity - unfortunately for us, without Bonefish.

The outfitter that we used was top notch and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again; great guides and a terrific knowledge base about the best places to fish.

All in all, we had a great time in Lucaya; ate well, partied well, and we said that we'd probably go back again; I can't let this one stand at zero fish.....

Oh, the day that we left, it was 85 degrees and sunny with a 5 mph wind from the Southwest...............go figure.

Pocono
mcnerney, jpbfly, ted4887 and 1 others like this.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonewatching on Grand Bahama

Sorry your fishing trip was not as sucessful as you expected...that's bad luck!
Hope we can fish together again in the springhaven't seen so many fish inthe Marguerite and the Lergue for years
Pocono likes this.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Well at least you made the best of it Allan,

I've taken my share of dry runs for about every species I've ever traveled for. When I lived in PA. the reason I was so consistent was that I was there all the time. Trips to New Brunswick or even the Salmon River were much harder to predict, especially the weather.

Have you ever read any of those old posts I made when I was fishing Kodiak every year? Outrageous weather sent me home early on all but one trip out of 6. It's tough not catching when you know they have to be there and it's just poor conditions that are separating you from those pesky fish

You'll catch a break somewhere else or on your return there I'm sure. You know I finished the season here on my very best river with a total of 6 trips and zero fish caught. Conditions kept the fish way up in the headwaters late and the water dropped just enough that I couldn't safely run the boat up to the forks...................... It happens to all of us buddy, everywhere.

Ard
Pocono and mcnerney like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-21-2013, 03:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Grand Bahama is a great place to fish! It was where I caught my first Bone and I went back many times . Sometimes you can't keep the fish away but when the wind and weather start up it's time to go dockside for a Bahama Mama!
I was very lucky on my first trip to Lucaya as by accident my guide was the infamous Bonefish Folley ! The man was the king of the island . Fished with him several times after that and also with his son and grandson. Never disappointed even when we didn't catch.
Being on those flats and seeing all they have to offer is worth the trip alone!
After reading your report Allan I'm ready to return!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-21-2013, 05:01 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Oh, the day that we left, it was 85 degrees and sunny with a 5 mph wind from the Southwest...............go figure.

That right there describes almost every attempt I have ever made at an epic fishing trip.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry your trip turned out like that, no one likes a skunk, but there isn't much we can do about what mother nature throws our way.

Larry
Pocono likes this.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:47 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Bonefishing in wind with clouds is so frustrating...just not the way it is "supposed" to be. But the cold front is just the pits, them bones hate the drop in temperature. I have lost many days even weeks on the flats to these same conditions...you just keep coming back and eventually it is just right and you experience memories lasting a lifetime.
Pocono likes this.