The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the Caribbean > Bahamas

Bahamas Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2015, 03:19 PM

glenn f is on a distinguished road
Default New Bahamas proposal

Any DIY Bahamas flats fisherman may find this of special interest, from what I understand it could amount to $30 per day to be "allowed" to DIY flats fish, if not the extra cost at least the aggravation and availability of said permit.
A simple low cost fishing license (30 day, like other some countries) would be far more reasonable if they really need a fisheries revenue...... I've never heard of any country having a "special flats fishing permit' but could be wrong?

Please email fisheries minister if concerned (the deadline is June 26, 2015)

thebahamasweekly.com - Bahamas seeking to protect the Fly Fishing Industry

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES
Old 02-12-2016, 11:16 AM

holywaters_ca is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Bahamas proposal

Strange times down there for sure. Really strange when you consider that most people go down to do both DIY and hire a guide if only for a couple of days.

There are a number of lodges that even cater to the DIY'ers, that legislation would kill them.
Short sighted in my opinion
Old 02-12-2016, 12:25 PM

vince t is on a distinguished road

From what i hear, it is unlikely they would ever ban diy fishing. At most they may require a fishing license for non residents. As long as it is easy to obtain, and the cost is reasonable, there should be no issues. If and when the license ever gets enacted, I believe it will be easy to obtain and reasonably priced also.

I hear this from my friends who are Bahamians and run diy operations on several islands in the Bahamas.

"God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing."
Old 02-12-2016, 12:59 PM

holywaters_ca is on a distinguished road

I guess if it's just a permit situation, it's no different than fishing in most states in the US or provinces in Canada,... which is totally understandable.

I thought it was more of a "you have to hire a guide to fish" thing.

Time will tell.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:27 PM

moucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to beholdmoucheur2003 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by holywaters_ca View Post

I thought it was more of a "you have to hire a guide to fish" thing.
That's how it was originally proposed, but apparently the possibility that DIY would be forbidden discouraged so many tourists from booking DIY trips to the Bahamas this winter that they are reconsidering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn f View Post
Any DIY Bahamas flats fisherman may find this of special interest, from what I understand it could amount to $30 per day to be "allowed" to DIY flats fish, if not the extra cost at least the aggravation and availability of said permit.
A simple low cost fishing license (30 day, like other some countries) would be far more reasonable if they really need a fisheries revenue.
I would guess that a $30 daily license fee might still be high enough to divert a noticeable percentage of the traditional DIY tourist traffic to other destinations.